Sunday 2 September 2012

Top 5 Summer Movies of 2012

OK so as the Summer has ended for another year, I'd thought to do a Top 5 of the best films (all opinion based) in May, June, July and August. These are films that I have seen and have either done or have yet to do a review of them. So let's go:

5 - Battleship
OK so many people have said that this film sucks. The way I see it, is that it suffers with the Michael Bay treatment in terms of length and story, but the reason it's on my list is that, it's enjoyable once the film gets going (about half an hour into it preferably) and with it being based on a board game, I give credit to the filmmakers for trying to make it good and they have done well. 7/10

4 - Prometheus
Now I haven't seen the Alien films (with the acceptation of Alien Vs Predator) so a lot of the story didn't make sense for me. I also find that there are far too many cliched moments in the film which gets very annoying, but despite all that, the effects and CGI are great and could be at the standard of what Avatar was, which is what makes a blockbuster film like this great. I didn't see it in 3D but I'm sure it would have looked even better in 3D and that's why its on my list.

3 - The Expendables 2
Now as someone who has only seen a handful of action films like this, I found this to be very entertaining and full of action. With more action heroes like Chuck Norris and Liam Hemsworth in this flick, this was an obvious choice for my list. I expect there to be a 3rd film in the series and then leave it at that because a number of the actors in this film are getting on in their ages, but for now, what you see is what you get. An absolute tribute to all action films out there.

2 - The Dark Knight Rises
It was a very difficult choice to have either this or that other critically successful superhero film at this spot, so I went for Batman. Serving as the final instalment of Nolan's Batman trilogy, It was a very good film despite the version of Bane in this film being very different to the Bane that most of us are used to by now, but otherwise, still very good film.

1 - Avengers Assemble
This was an obvious choice for the top spot as it is a fantastic film that packs everything a superhero film should have as well as showing the connection to the other films before this (Tony Stark's regretful recruitment, the location of "On the Run" Bruce Banner, Steve Rogers trying to fit into the 21st Century and The God of Thunder's return to Earth as well as the Tesseract and Loki's involvement). A great and funny film that I'm sure everyone fan or not, will love for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...