Wednesday 16 December 2015

AC16: Random Movie Review - Shark Tale

So after a battle of the bugs, the next battle Pixar and DreamWorks would have is the battle of the fish in the sea and much like with everyone else, Finding Nemo is the best one when it comes to this. I mean its beautifully animated, well acted and has a heart warming story and is also quite funny too. So of course we'd be getting a sequel to the film all about Dory which is a good move for Pixar. But as for DreamWorks, this just didn't make the cut. The animation is poor and it looked as though the animators wanted to make the fish look like their voice actors. In my opinion, this was the first DreamWorks film to be bad and it would then be followed by a few other films before DreamWorks would then decide that their films need more quality over everything else which led them to make huge hits with the Dragons and the Kung Fu Panda films. But everyone knows that all studios and film makers have their bad films and of course they will admit to that (except for Paramount who I feel don't care about their films and are just in it for the money thanks to Bay). But enough ranting, let's review this story about sharks:

So we come to this underwater city where all its citizens are fish. We meet Oscar (voiced by the master of cool, Will Smith) who longs for the celebrity lifestyle, but ends up following his father's footsteps in washing whales. Meanwhile in the wreckage of the Titanic (no joke, this is the real deal), we meet a group of criminal sharks who I'm just going out to say that they look much like a Mafia more than anything else. They seem to be having a problem with one of the boss's sons called Lenny (voiced by the great Jack Black who knows how to have some fun and rock out) who just so happens to be a vegetarian. However it seems that these two would cross paths and through a misunderstanding with Lenny's brother, Oscar becomes what the people would call him the Shark Slayer whereas Lenny would go into hiding in the hopes to not be forced to eat meat like the rest of his kind. How long will this last is left to question.

I was quite young when this first came out and when I watched it, I thought it was OK and I even tried the game on Xbox and thought that was OK too. But now that I'm much older than I was then, I can say that this film is not as good as I remembered it when growing up. The animation is creepy at times and in your face and I've never really been a fan of films with gangster pop music and mostly celebrity voices aside from Smith and Black of course who are both just doing what they do best. Not the best film to come out of DreamWorks, but it was a good try to compete against Pixar once again. But I'm pretty sure that this battle is far from over. 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...