Thursday 6 October 2016

Boxes of Stuff - September 2016

This time, a character from Batman: The Animated Series appears in my last ever Nerd Block Classic (as I'll be switching to Arcade Block for the future), it's all about being fast in my last ever Loot Crate (as I've cancelled my subscription with them due to what I've said in past posts) and the X-Men along with Harley Quinn make an appearance in Geek Fuel:

Loot Crate - Speed
So while Loot Crate managed to be spot on with the items in its theme for September, some are a bit questionable like Batman and Iron Man which yes I will admit their technology and whatnot can go up to great speeds, but speed is not what they are known for. So while we're on the subject of DC and Marvel's smart billionaire boys, Tony Stark's car company is on this crate's t-shirt which looks nice and Batman's Batwing from presumably Keaton's Batman is a keyring and a sharp one at that. Keeping with DC, we get a silver Flash statue based on the Flash from the TV show of the same name which is nice I guess. From Gone in 60 Seconds, we have a car which is a bit more direct to the theme, but still, its spot on. Now I don't know Battlestar Galactica well, but we get a model ship presumably based on one of the ships in the show which I would appreciate more if I knew what it was. The pin while not geeky like previous crates, is still nice and grants access to a digital comic of Velocity. So as my last crate, there was only a few things that I knew about and the rest I knew little to nothing about. Kudos to Loot Crate for being accurate to the theme this time, but as its my final crate, its not the best nor worst one to leave on, but I know that they will try to improve over time. Until I'm convinced, my time with them has for now, come to an end.

Nerd Block

As always, Nerd Block tend to focus on random items, but generally do a better job than Loot Crate in that the items are curated better. So all the items are things that I am very familiar with and the one I like the most, is the Ghostbusters phone case because I've been needing one for my phone for a while and now I finally have one and it's quite a nice case too (they asked me beforehand what my phone was so I'm happy). Another great item is the Joker figure which is based on Mark Hamill's original Joker in Batman: The Animated Series and I believe it's a different figure for each person, but it's a great item to have if you are a Batman fan. As its Star Trek's 50th anniversary (still feeling old every time I mention such a thing), we have a Star Trek book which is kind of hard to work out, but the best way to describe it is that it summarises the original show with easy to understand words as if it sounded like a children's book which is actually very clever. From Star Wars, we have some badges which I guess are to do with Rouge One, but I'm not sure about that. From Attack on Titan, we have a scarf thing which can double as a titan mask which is quite cool. And finally if you were a fan of the late Alan Rickman, then the t-shirt will serve you well as its to do with Snape (his character from Harry Potter). Probably one of the best Nerd Blocks I have had, but as the last of the Classic range that I got, its a nice one to end on, but I'm not done with Nerd Block yet as from October onwards, I'm trying Arcade Block.

Geek Fuel
Last up is Geek Fuel and like with Nerd Block, there are franchises I know and love here. From X-Men, we have a t-shirt based on Apocalypse which I haven't seen yet, but will do soon. Acquired from Harley Quinn is her hammer in inflatable form which you can bash things with. From DC, we have 4 colouring in posters of some of the most well known covers of the comics from back in the day which are quite cool. Our Steam game for this month is Blacksea Odyssey which comes with a flicking thing that you would often find in those machines at supermarkets and similar places. And just because they can, Geek Fuel continue to exploit their mascot with a wall sticker. And finally, anyone who has had or was aware of the NES will love the NES cartridge like chopping board which is probably the coolest thing I have received from them so far. Another great box from Geek Fuel. Keep it up.

Well for Loot Crate and Nerd Block Classic, its time to say goodbye and hello to Arcade Block. But Geek Fuel, you are staying just the way you are. Loot Crate did OK this month, but as I said, some of the items are questionable because of the theme and the idea of transforming your crate into a car, just doesn't sound great to me so I'm glad to not be involved with them any more (for now anyway). Nerd Block did extremely well with their items and I don't think there is anything that would top that block so that's a nice one to end on before I move onto Arcade Block. And Geek Fuel did well too and like I said, the chopping board is the best thing about that box this time. This month's winner is Geek Fuel really because of that NES style chopping board. It is really cool.

And while it's too late to get these boxes now, there's still time to get October's boxes. Links are below:

Loot Crate

Nerd Block

Geek Fuel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...