Monday 27 February 2023

Random Movie Review - The Banshees of Inisherin

 
I will admit, at first, this film didn't really appeal to me. I just couldn't really work out how a film about two men who suddenly don't get on one day, could be interesting. But then after I saw some of the other Oscar and BAFTA nominated films, I started to understand that maybe even if the idea sounds dull at first, it could still make for a good film. Unfortunately, I missed it when it came into cinemas (was going through a tough time with a now ex-friend and facing money trouble at the time), but have managed to watch it on Disney+ via its Star hub. The two lead actors have been in a great number of films which, regardless of how critically and commercially they have been, they are perhaps the best thing about the films there were in. I mean, I really enjoyed Brendan Gleeson being Mad-Eye Moody in the Harry Potter films and Colin Farrell being The Penguin in The Batman and Bullseye in the mostly bad film adaptation of Daredevil. So with these two acting legends in a film together, it must be good, even if the idea sounds dull to me. But anyway, let's take a look:

Set in 1923 at the tail end of the Irish Civil War on the fictional Irish island of Inisherin, folk musician Colm (played by Gleeson) one day decides to completely ignore his lifelong friend Padraic (played by Farrell) which he chooses to do as he quite simply, does not like him any more. A distraught Padraic desperately tries to make amends, but to no avail. Leading to a series of events that may bring consequences for them both and their loved ones.

Now before I reviewed this, I actually saw it once a few months ago, but because I was distracted by a now ex-friend on a video call, I felt it wasn't right of me to review it at that time. But giving it the benefit of a doubt, I really enjoyed the film. Love the scenery and the acting, and quite liked the idea of how sad it is. That, and it kind of reminds me of the times I've had a fallout with someone and desperately want to make amends before things happen. A classic example of what it means to be human. 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...