Tuesday 16 January 2024

Random Online Movie Review - Such a Beautiful Day

 
So I've been busy going through my late sister's DVDs that I decided to take and with that plus work as well, I haven't had much time to watch any TV shows that I would usually review on here (new, old and otherwise). But I did manage to find time to watch this film that a friend of mine suggested. It's shorter than most films, and I don't recall seeing it advertised in a cinema, hence why I'm choosing to review it as if it was something I saw on TV. Anyway, let's give it a critique:

Split into 3 parts and originally envisioned as a trilogy of short films, the overall film is about a man called Bill (not me, another Bill) whose life is displayed through animation on screen. Through narrator Don Hertzfeldt (who also wrote, produced and directed the film), we learn that Bill suffers from an unnamed illness that affects his seemingly mundane life. This is soon demonstrated when fourth wall breaking, causes the film to get a little nuts and crazy to the point where most of us begin to sympathize with Bill and the way he is.

Overall, I enjoyed whatever you want to call this. It shows just how powerful a simple animated film can be while, at the same time, making that animation grow out of control as a way to have us see a person's illness from their perspective. It's creative, nuts, a little sad in places. But definitely one film or trilogy of short films that deserved all the awards that it received. It's not going to win everyone over, and it's definitely going to be hard to follow for some people. But if you are OK with all that, then please check it out while it's still available online (I rented it on Vimeo, of all places). 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...