Tuesday 26 May 2015

TV Episode Review - The Dirty Half Dozen (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S2, E19) + All Happy Families Are Alike (Gotham S1, E22)

This week, Coulson finally does something about Hydra in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and its a gun war in Gotham. Let's tune in:

The Dirty Half Dozen
So in many respects, I'd say this episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. can serve as a prelude, prolouge or prequel (whatever you want to call it) to Age of Ultron as we find out how that base that the Avengers track down and infiltrate at the beginning of the film, was found. Without giving too much away, I'd say its pretty obvious where I'm going with this episode. Obviously we do get a few confrontations with Ward ending his Hydra days and this whole deal with there being two different S.H.I.E.L.D. organisations, but if I'm being honest, as an episode that sets the stage for the start of Age of Ultron, I like it. Its action packed, it finally brings some much needed closure to things that have needed closure for quite some time and its an all around great episode. Its not the series finale even though in many ways it does feel like it, but I like it and with only about 3 episodes left of this series, I'm looking forward to seeing how it all ends. 9/10

All Happy Families Are Alike
Before any of you guys comment, the picture above is not what you think it is, ok? So just leave it. Anyway, so its war in Gotham with Falcone and Maroni at war with each other with Penguin and the GCPD caught in the middle of it. But in a surprising turn of events, Fish enters the fray with her own sort of mafia or mob as it were with Selina Kyle among her ranks. Blood will be shed and people will die though I think it can be pretty obvious who lives and who dies considering that many of the characters in this one episode are big and well known Batman characters. And with all this happening, Bruce Wayne discovers a secret that his father left for him, Nygma continues his downward spiral of insanity and Barbara goes into meltdown. In many ways, this series finale while it is a great finale, I feel something like this has been done before in another Batman project, specifically The Dark Knight Rises where that one film is basically war in Gotham, though here its not as grand of a scale like that film. But anyway, I thought the series finished off well and for a series that tries to explore the unknown stories of some of the biggest Batman characters out there, I thought it was pretty solid all around. There have been a few mishaps along the way though personally, with most TV shows, there will be at least one bad episode in it as you cannot expect a series to have a perfect run. That just doesn't happen, at all. But anyway, I've enjoyed the series and I look forward to where it goes next (though I am going to say this now that even though most of my friends see it going the same way as Smallville, I personally think it won't because it would then very much feel like a rehash of that show, just with Batman slapped on it). 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...