Thursday 6 August 2015

Boxes of Stuff - July 2015

This time, its all about those heroic sequels in Loot Crate, Geek Fuel goes all exclusive on us, its time to travel in time and space with Infinity Crate, you are humanities last hope in Nerd Block and everyone has their own nemesis in My Geek Box (even I have some). Let's open them up!

My Geek Box - Nemesis
So villains are characters that I have a great admiration of so this box was right up my street. We have a figure of Davros from Doctor Who (the revival version), a coaster of Azog from The Hobbit films, a Los Pollos Hermanos notebook which as Breaking Bad fans will know was a chain of fast food restaurants owned by Gus Fring who also secretly ran a drug empire, a Transformers mug which I think My Geek Box may have screwed this one up as its clearly the logo for the Autobots (the heroes) and not the Decepitcons (the villains), a Terminator wallet and a Resident Evil T-shirt with blood stains presumably from zombies on it. Apart from the mug, My Geek Box is pretty spot on here with the theme.

Nerd Block - Humanity's Last Hope
So the apocolypse happened and you are humanity's last hope for survival which is the theme of Nerd Block this time. We have a Mad Max comic book, a Ghostbusters wallet, a Pop! Iron Man keychain, a Transformers dangler (which I can't tell, but mine looks like Bumblebee), a Titan vynl figure of Spike from Buffy and a t-shirt with Cobra's motto from G.I. Joe. Again, pretty spot on with the theme, but I think the Iron Man one doesn't quite fit considering that he does live in the same universe as other heroes so he wouldn't really be humanity's last hope on most occasions. And don't know about Spike seeing as I haven't seen Buffy: The Vampire Slayer.

Loot Crate - Heroes 2
So I missed out on their first Heroes themed box, but that's ok. So in this box, four heroes are represented. For Batman, we have a multi-tool batarang and an Adam West Batman figure (and the box can transform into a Gotham city block). For Wonder Woman, we have a poster of her in an very unlikely costume. For Link, we have a Legend of Zelda wristband. And for Spock, we have an air freshener of his iconic hand gesture. We also get a code for a game on Steam (all to do with heroes) and a Loot Crate edition of the League of Regrettable Superheroes book. Spot on once more and I get to be educated and get a free game as well so good work Loot Crate. Oh and there is the badge and magazine as well in this.

Infinity Crate - Time and Space
Now keep in mind that Infinity Crate is a tailor made box so all items that people get in the month will be different. For me, I got a Dalek Pop! figure which fits very well with the theme, a Millenium Falcon sticker, a Guardians of the Galaxy t-shirt, a Yoda light up keychain and a Starfleet badge. This one I felt captured the space part right with only the Dalek being the time and space thing here so I'm a little disappointed and felt that the theme's name is quite misleading. But that being said, I'm still satisfied with the items I got.

Geek Fuel - Exclusives
So except this one to be quite random in items, but are all exclusive nevertheless. Quite disappointed to here that the Steam game is yet another $10 value one, but it doesn't mean that the game will be bad as it does come with some candy and is called Burnstar so can't argue with that. In addition to that, we also get an Ant-Man themed shot glass, an Aliens VS Vampirella poster (this is actually a thing that will be coming to us in comic form), a badge with what looks like Japanese or Chinese symbols, a t-shirt that is mean't to be a mashup of characters we geeks love with Tour de France and a Civil War comic with a variant cover (I got 2 of these so anyone wanting one is welcome to have mine. Its currently on eBay if you want it. My user name is wjon1824). And of course, the monthly magazine. Well can't really complain as the theme is exclusives, but it is very random I will say.

Its a tough one this time because 3 of the boxes were spot on with their themes and the items inside them were great. The other two I was a little disappointed with as one had a slightly misleading theme name which didn't fit well with the items inside the box and the other giving me a $10 value Steam game and 2 of the same comic while also being very random. So out of those 3 other boxes, Loot Crate wins as all of the items were spot on with the theme and I knew about the franchises that the items represent so well done there. But as always, its all opinion based, but on the whole, July has been a great month for all these boxes with some great items. Its been the strongest of months so far in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...