Tuesday 13 October 2015

TV Episode Review - Before the Flood (Doctor Who S9, E4)

While I find what I'm about to say to be very unlikely considering this is only the 4th episode in the series so far, we find out if the Doctor really is dead or not (sorry for the spoilers there):

Special thanks to Stuart Manning and the Radio Times team for the awesome film like poster for this episode. So the episode begins with the Doctor talking about Beethoven and why being deaf can have its advantages which is then followed by a electric guitar version of the show's iconic theme tune. We then go straight into the episode where the Doctor and members of the crew having travelled to the past to find out where these ghosts were coming from and how to stop them. All that while in the distant future, Clara, the deaf captain (the actress of which is actually deaf in real life) and her translator come across a ghost of the Doctor who seems to act very differently to the other ghosts in that he is saying something different. Who lives, who dies and what does this mean for the Time Lord, is revealed in this very episode.

I like the style that the episode was going for in that it was scary, felt a bit like a certain horror film where you can't escape death and it was just a great thrill ride throughout. A bit confusing at times, but otherwise a great episode which tells people to not underestimate those who are deaf because while they may not hear you, they can feel your presence to a certain extent. 9/10

And on a side note, my thoughts on the sonic sunglasses. I think they are fine. OK I know, most of us don't like change, but as long as the changes work, then its fine with me and hey, having sunglasses can be more convenient to use than a sonic screwdriver which you have to hold in order to use. I'm not saying its bad, but I understand where people are coming from when they say they don't like change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...