Monday 12 October 2015

Random Movie Review - Red Riding Hood

So according to Wikipedia, this film falls under the horror genre and seeing it, I really don't know why they would put it there. So many have seen this as either a Twilight rip off or the spritual successor to that series of films. As I particularly do not care what people say of Twilight nor do I want to go into it, I will look at this film on its own ground without drawing any comparisons to what people claim it to be like. I've heard the story of Little Red Riding Hood to death and have seen many adaptations of it (though not as many as A Christmas Carol), so today, let's look at the 2011 adaptation:

So we meet our titular character who calls herself Valerie (played by Amanda Seyfried who at the time I saw this film, I last saw her singing in Mamma Mia). She lives in a village called Daggerhorn which is on the edge of a forest plagued by a werewolf, along with her parents and her older sister. She falls in love with a woodcutter called Peter (played by Shiloh Fernandez, good luck with trying to pronounce his name), but we end up of the cliche of having the girl marry a man she doesn't love because her parents made it so. We then find out that the werewolf has broken its truce of not hurting the townspeople in exchange for cattle sacrifices and then, chaos ensues.

So as I said earlier, this review is based on the film alone without drawing any comparisons to other films and honestly, its not very good. As I did point out a cliche, this film is full of them to the point that it just gets predictable. But I will say that Seyfried's performance is top notch as always and I'm not saying that because others have said it. Is it a good adaptation? Well as it really isn't competing with much, I'd say yes, but hasn't really done much to make an impact in how we see the story. That's all I can say on that. 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...