Thursday 7 January 2016

Boxes of Stuff - December 2015

This time, there may be no Awesome Mix but the Guardians of the Galaxy are in Marvel Collector Corps, Nerd Block travels to the past and present in a galaxy far far away, Geek Fuel has a bit of Simpsons a bit of Star Wars and two Steam games among other things and Loot Crate explores the Galaxy. Plus a bonus unboxing from Loot Crate which comes from a galaxy far far away. Anyone noticing a pattern here? Anyway, let's get to the unboxings:

Marvel Collector Corps - Guardians of the Galaxy
So I think this time around, we're getting the usual things from Marvel Collector Corps while also letting Pop! show off some of their new things too. As always there's a patch and a pin badge with one having Rocket Racoon and the other having Groot. In the place of what would be the T-shirt, we get a scarf with Groot on it which is perfect for this time of the year (unless you live in places like Australia). Next we have the two new items that Pop plan to do more of which is mugs (in the box, we get one of Starlord) and buables (in the box, we get Groot and Rocket Racoon). And as always, we get a comic book called Guardians of Infinity, all sealed up for all you collectors out there. A pretty decent box, though for a box like this, I'd expect the other guardians to get in the box aside from Groot, Rocket Racoon and Starlord. But I'm happy nevertheless.

Nerd Block - Star Wars (Past and Present)
So coming all the way from a galaxy far far away are some Star Wars items. We've got an Endor mouse mat which looks very much like a holiday ad and a good looking one at that and I'm actually pleased with this as I've been in need of a new mouse mat for a while. Coming from Pop, we have a Luke Skywalker figure which will certainly fulfil all you hardcore Star Wars fans (like myself). We then also get a pistol keyring which I don't know where it comes from, but I suspect its to resemble the controversial Han shot first scene from the very first film (not chronologically). We then also have a ice cube tray which is Star Wars themed and will go well with any Star Wars themed parties. The t-shirt is the front of Kylo Ren's helmet which at the time of receiving it, will have no doubt got you pumped for the new film. And completely separate from Star Wars, we get a little item to remember the late Leonard Nimoy who had nothing to do with Star Wars, but is well known in the sci-fi fandom. A lot of good and useful items which is just the tip of the many Star Wars items I got this month.

Geek Fuel - Randomness (featuring items from Star Wars and The Simpsons)
In most months, Geek Fuel boxes tend to arrive late where I live, but I can see that they have found a way to ship boxes earlier in the month and this was reflected this month, making me very happy so I will be sticking with them for a little while longer. So we have a few Star Wars items which are a BB-8 rubber, lightsaber candy sticks, a Death Star maker of some sort and a Christmas greetings card with R2-D2 and the Geek Fuel mascot on it all very good stuff. The Simpsons item is a book and every person that gets this box will either get a Homer book or a Bart book (for me I got the latter and its pretty good). We also get some retro wrapping paper which is useful at the time of Christmas among other occasions. 2 Steam games this time which the value totals at roughly $25. And another mashup shirt which this time is Jack Skellington as the Joker. Some pretty good stuff in this box I have to say.

Loot Crate - Galaxy
Of all the crates to arrive this month, I would've expected Loot Crate to be among the ones that would not arrive late and yet it did. However I will accept this as just a case of it being Christmas at the time so you're off the hook Loot Crate. So this time, Loot Crate explore the galaxy to find things for people to enjoy. In the box, coming from a galaxy far far away, is a pair of BB-8 socks and old Han Solo in Pop form, both from the new film Star Wars: The Force Awakens. We then have a DLC thing for Halo 5:Guardians which I probably won't be using as I'm not really a fan of Halo, I mean I have played not all, but some of the games, but I wouldn't go as far as to call myself a fan. Also from Halo is an ammo tin which has me start my collection of Halo merchandise. Next to keep you in the festive mood (even though its now January) is a winter sweater t-shirt and from what I believe is to be the first of its kind, very creative I have to say. We also have a Galaxy Quest item which is a patch, I've never really known of a thing called that, but the motto it has is one I'm familiar with. And then finally, we have the monthly Loot Crate badge and magazine. Some good stuff in here, but some of the stuff I won't be using I wouldn't think.

Bonus Box: Loot Crate - Star Wars (Limited Edition)
So occasionally, there will be times where you can get your hands on some limited edition mystery boxes which means that once they are gone, they are gone so move fast. They are also very much on the pricey side so make sure you have money for it before buying. So with that said, let's talk about this very one. Now prior to getting this box, Loot Crate have done several boxes like this and unfortunately, I missed out on most of them, but I was very lucky with this one. So as you'd expect, all the things in the box are Star Wars themed and its mostly a mixed bag of things from the Original Trilogy and the newest film, The Force Awakens. So first we have two items to do with Darth Vader which are a Mr Potato Head of him (something of which I've been wanting to get for a very long time so thank you Loot Crate) and a comic book as well. We then have BB-8 as a sweat shirt which fits quite nicely on me. Then you get one of three mugs which can be either BB-8, Kylo Ren or Darth Vader and I got the first one. As Disney make books on their films, I get a set which is all the films from Phantom Menace to Return of the Jedi and I got to be honest, while they are tailored to a younger audience, they are actually quite pleasant to read, especially the first one as it removes Jar Jar entirely with just one picture of him. Then if you like building stuff, there's a metal building kit in the box where you can create Kylo Ren's ship, though unlike LEGO, this can tend to be more challenging as some of the parts are very tiny by comparison. Then there's what looks like an Imperial pouch which is good to keep your belongings in. And in addition to the Millennium Falcon spoiler card, the last couple of items are a Star Wars winter hat and scarf which are good to use at this time of the year as well as going to see Force Awakens. There is also a Millennium Falcon print on the lid of the box as well. A great box for any Star Wars fan old and new, but you better have the money for it (at the time of writing this post, its still available for purchase) and if you're lucky, there may even be a bonus item in the box (which unfortunately I didn't get in mine).

So for the sake of keeping this fair, I am ruling out the Star Wars Loot Crate because of how big it is and what its purpose is which is to get as a one off box or to use as a gift for someone. Its been a pretty good month as each box has got things in them that I like, but except for Marvel Collector Corps, most if not all of them have Star Wars items which is understandable considering December was the month when the new film came out and I do like Star Wars so I'm happy. So really it all comes down to variety and of these boxes, the winner for December 2015 is Geek Fuel for its randomness, but variety of items nevertheless.

Now for the foreseeable future, I am sticking to Loot Crate, Nerd Block and Marvel Collector Corps because of their exclusive items. Geek Fuel, I will have a long think about, but it will come down to when the box arrives when it comes to deciding on what to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...