Thursday 14 April 2016

Video Game Review - Quantum Break

I know in the past that I've given praise to all games that have cinematic quality, but the thing is, I now realise that all we gamers care about, is to have a game that plays out like a game and not like a film by which I mean more and better gameplay and less cutscenes. So now we come to Quantum Break. A cinematic game which has been long in development since the Xbox One was first announced. I was really looking forward to this game, but the problem is that I got the Windows 10 version and boy its a mess. But we'll get to that shortly. For now let's get on with the story:

So following the footsteps of the many TellTale games out there, Quantum Break plays out like a TV series. It focuses on a protagonist and an antagonist who through the means of a failed time travel experiment, end up both having time traveling abilities which gives them powers similar to DC's Flash which would let them make choices that would prevent a possible future from happening. As you'd come to expect, the antagonist chooses to use this power for evil while the other wants to stop him before time gets re-written or worse, destroyed. The game is a third person shooter so think Batman: Arkham, but less dark as it were. And with the character you play as, time is your friend and you can use it for all sorts of things. Kind of like Braid, but more can be done here than just turning back time.

So where do I begin. I think it is a good game, no question despite the cinematic quality that it brings. But as I said, I got the Windows 10 version and its not great. Slow downloading times is one thing, but frame rates at an all time low is another thing all together. Not much more to say other than for me to tell Microsoft to fix it. 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...