Thursday 5 May 2016

Boxes of Stuff - April 2016

This time, Geek Fuel has some items from 2 beloved sci-fi franchises and the first and oldest of Avengers, Loot Crate takes us on a quest of epic proportions, Nerd Block makes a parody with help from "Werid Al" Yankovic and there's a Civil War going on in Marvel Collector Corps:

Geek Fuel - featuring items from Doctor Who, Star Wars and Captain America: Civil War
So to my surprise, it was Geek Fuel that came first for April and this one is normally among the last to come, but not this time. So as always, Geek Fuel generally don't follow a theme and stick with giving us random stuff every month, but always in line with any new releases. Coming from the world of time and space, we have a Doctor Who comicbook featuring the 10th Doctor and some artistic coasters which are both very nice things to have from Doctor Who. Coming from a galaxy far far away, we have a First Order Stormtrooper bobblehead and one that actually looks rather nice and detailed I have to say. As always, with every box in addition to the magazine and the spoiler card, there is also a game for Steam and this time, its Fallen: A2P Protocol. And from the MCU, we got a Captain America shield sticker and a t-shirt of him and Iron Man battling it out. Despite being random, this is a very good box of things so good stuff.

Loot Crate (Original) - Quest
Now recently Loot Crate have started to have subscriptions that are specific to people's tastes like there's one for gamers, one for anime fans, one for those who just want clothes, one for those who have pets and there's even an upgrade of the original box. But seeing as I'm not really able to afford all of these, we're just going to stick with the original Loot Crate, but from now on, I am going to be specific on which box I mean. So this time, Loot Crate are taking us on a quest with some quest related items. Coming from Labyrinth, we have a pretty awesome t-shirt which goes well with any fan of the late David Bowie. Coming from the wizarding world of Harry Potter, we have some socks that have all of Voldemort's horcruxes in case you need a reminder on how to beat him. Coming from Vikings (as in the show) we have a horn which I guess is used as a cup to drink out of. Coming from Uncharted is a poster which I'm a little bit disappointed about, but can't complain much so yeah. And then with all that, we also get a ice cube thing that can make a Dungeons and Dragons dice as well as a magazine and a pin which unlocks a thing in a Dungeons and Dragons online game. There are some months where I like what I get and others where I don't and while I do like the franchises in this box, I kind of feel disappointed with some of it.

Nerd Block (Classic) - Parody
Long before Loot Crate decided to go that route, Nerd Block have got a number of different blocks to go for and much like with Loot Crate, they are tailored to specific things. Why I haven't been able to be specific about these things, I just don't know. Anyway, so following in the footsteps of Simon Pegg and Kevin Smith from last year, Nerd Block got "Weird Al" Yankovic to curate the box and as you'd expect, all or most of the items are to do with parodies and the guy himself. If you liked Space Balls, then if you get this block, you can get one of three art cards for a cancelled Space Balls sequel (or at least that's what I think it is anyway) and I got the helmet guy (I don't watch the film too much so I apologise if I don't know the names in the film). Then we have three different items from three different animated adult humour shows, from Archer we have an ice cube tray, from Family Guy we have a hot cup warmer thing and from The Simpsons, we have a Weird Al figure (which is a Nerd Block exclusive). And lastly from the man himself, we have a "Wacky" t-shirt and Al's autobiography. I'm pretty happy with this box. I mean I'm a fan of Weird Al so this fits in quite nicely.

Marvel Collector Corps - Captain America: Civil War
Whenever a new Marvel film comes out, MCC always give us another box to have and I can't complain really about that. So in the box we have three figures which are 2 Pop! Vinyls of Iron Man and Cap and an Iron Man Dorbz. Our sealed comic book is all about Black Panther and you can get one of three variants. We also get a Civil War lynard, a pretty cool t-shirt and the patch and pin are quite nice too. Something new that MCC haven't done yet is have a spoiler card which is good when like me, you're trying to do a written post about what you get.

So for April, Loot Crate wasn't great, but all the others were good in their own way. Nerd Block and MCC are both spot on with their themes and the items from Geek Fuel are very nice to have. Its a difficult one, but I got a lot out of all those 3 boxes so its a three way tie. I think where Loot Crate failed on is that aside from the t-shirt, most of the items you could quite easily get from a poundshop or somewhere similar and it just wasn't great for quality this time. But maybe May will change that, we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...