Thursday 7 July 2016

Boxes of Stuff - June 2016

This time, we go to a dystopia world in Loot Crate, Geek Fuel gives us items from Nintendo's Mario and Pokemon as well as BBC's Sherlock, Nerd Block gives us some items from beloved franchises like Ghostbusters and Harry Potter and Marvel Collector Corps celebrates their women of power:

Loot Crate - Dystopia
When you think of Dystopia, its franchises where the characters are living in a world where there's some very advanced technology and they may be dealing with the aftermath of something major. So coming from the world of Fallout, we have a Vault Dweller Dorbz in power armour which looks cute as Dorbz tend to be. Then entering the Matrix, we get a jigsaw puzzle which isn't anything special as such, but its nice to have if you enjoy the Matrix films. We then go to Skynet where we get a metal plate of the Terminator from T2 which looks great. Moving on to OCP, we get a RoboCop t-shirt which while isn't anything special, its actually a pretty cool t-shirt. Going up to the floating city of Columbia, we get a key which I'm not too sure of its purpose, but Loot Crate have done something like this before where they give the looters (us) something which you then bring to an upcoming convention that they are a part of and get more loot. And our pin for this month is a giant nuke rocket with the digital content being mobile wallpapers and ringtones from Fallout Shelter. Nothing really special or redeeming here, but it is an improvement over May's box, I will give them that.

Geek Fuel
So I think Geek Fuel went to Nintendo for some ideas for their box for June and I got to say, I'm actually pretty happy with what they got. So from the Mushroom Kingdom (and that garden game in StreetPass Plaza), we got a pot in the style of those green pipes you see in that kingdom and a Mario stamper. From the land of Pokemon, we get three items in the form of a turtle Pokeball (you get one of 4, presumably a mashup of Pokemon and TMNT), a Pikachu temporary tattoo and a Pokemon style sport t-shirt, all very nice items to have and I have been hunting down to get a Pokeball for a while so I'm happy. We also get a comic book from Sherlock which I'm sure will be a great read. And then of course, our Steam game for June is Bit Evolution. A great box with two items that I have been wanting to have for a long time along with some other good stuff too.

Nerd Block
Nerd Block were very random this month, more so than normal. From Guardians of the Galaxy, you get either a Groot or Rocket Racoon Dorbz (I got Groot) which again, looks cute. From Ghostbusters, we get an exclusive Ghostbusters edition of a book about ghosts (and even Cthulhu is in there). From Harry Potter, we get a Hogwarts themed bookmark which isn't anything special as such, but nice to have. From The Goonies we get a map which I believe the guys use in the film to find the treasure. From Game of Thrones, we got a coin of some sort which again I believe you get one of two coins. And lastly, from Legend of Zelda, we get a Rupee t-shirt with Link in the background. Like I said, very random, but some nice stuff in the box I have to say.

Marvel Collector Corps - Women of Power
So Marvel recently started a comic book series featuring female Marvel characters such as Spider-Gwen and Captain Marvel, but I believe this box is more on celebrating the female heroes of the Marvel Universe. So Spider-Gwen comes to us as a t-shirt which looks pretty boring, but its a good shirt nevertheless. Captain Marvel and She-Hulk come in the form of mini bobble head figures (and I got to say, She-Hulk actually looks pretty hot and cute in that form). Squirrel Girl (a character I don't know much of) and her companion are here in the form of a Pop! figure. Our comic book is to do with Civil War II and is a variant cover as well. Kamala Khan is on our patch for the box and Spider-Women takes the role of the pin badge. Most of these characters I don't know, but for the ones I do know, I like how they are presented in the box.

So I think Loot Crate improved, but they still need work. Geek Fuel had some items I've been meaning to get for a while which is good. Nerd Block was very random, but had some good items in there. And Marvel Collector Corps also has some great items, but I don't know many of the characters in the box. This time, Geek Fuel wins.

Here are your links if you're interested in these boxes. Its too late to get June's boxes, but there is time to get July's boxes (Marvel Collector Corps is bi-monthly so next one will be in August):

Loot Crate


Geek Fuel


Nerd Block


Marvel Collector Corps

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...