Thursday 24 November 2016

Video Game Review - Planet Coaster

I've played a few theme park simulator games in my time and for the most part, some have been enjoyable, some have been too complicated and some are just downright annoying. My experience with Frontier is quite a short one. I know them for being the people behind the early Wallace & Gromit games on Xbox, the LostWinds games on Wii (via WiiWare) and Screamride on Xbox One (I know they all went on other platforms, but these are the ones I've played on the consoles specified). Being the people behind the RollerCoaster Tycoon series (at least between 2003 and 2004), they have had some experience with making games about handling theme parks so Planet Coaster should be a walk in the park for them and considering that the game has already received some praise way before its release, I think its safe to say that this game will be great. Well we'll see as we dive into the wild game the developers claim to be one of their best games to date:

So like with most games, you start off by creating an avatar. Then you are given three modes. Sandbox where you can create a theme park to your hearts content. Challenge which is similar to Sandbox, but you have limited funds so spend your money wisely. And Career mode in which you complete tasks such as hiring staff and finish the construction of roller coasters. There is also another mode called Crash which is basically what it says. crashing into anything and everything, even the park's visitors. The NPCs in the game have their own language similar to that of The Sims, though to me I'd call it more gibberish than an actual language.

It has been a long time since I last played a theme park simulator game and I have to say, Frontier did a good job making this game. Its got a lot of potential of being a great game should it get new content over time and while they are developers that bring out games every few years, the work and effort that is put into this game, has paid off. I can't really find anything to criticise, but I will say Career mode can be a tad boring after a while. But anyway a great game and one that manages to bring back the theme park simulators to the gaming community after so long being in the dark. 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...