Friday 16 December 2016

AC16: Random Movie Review - Thomas and the Magic Railroad

So something I need to confess. When I was very little, I loved Thomas the Tank Engine to death. I would get the model trains, I would read the magazines, I even went as far as joining the fan club they had going on as well as actually going on the real trains themselves. So naturally when I heard that it was hitting the big screen, I just had to go and see it. Now keep in mind that at this time, I was very little so my opinions at the time were non-existent and would love most things even if others hated said things. But I'm now an adult and looking back at this film, I can see now why so many hate it. As a UK citizen, I was familiar with Thomas, but not so familiar with Shining Time Station of which this film takes elements of to the point that it makes a beloved train's universe, too Americanised. But let's see if this film has the same amount of steam that made the original series great:

So Sir Topham Hatt is taking leave in England with Edward (one of the trains in the Thomas universe) and leaves Mr. Conductor (played by Alec Baldwin, the best Trump impersonator ever) of Shining Time Station in charge. Thomas (voiced by John Bellis in the original cut and by Eddie Glen in the final cut) encounters an evil train called Diesel 10 (voiced by Keith Scott in original cut and by Neil Crone in final cut) who wants to get rid of all the trains in Sodor (the home place of Thomas and Friends). However, there may be hope yet as its revealed that there is a track and a train that can potientally stop him, but its not the one you're thinking of.

In some way, this could be considered a crossover as it borrows many elements from all things Thomas and throws in Shining Time Station for good measure. Its not a good film. It feels too Americanised and it wastes the talents of Alec Baldwin, Peter Fonda and especially Mara Wilson who until recently, fell off the radar big time after this film (she has since emerged and is now doing internet stuff), but all of whom can be seen in much better films than this. Its also has some very cheap visuals which considering its a 2000 film, is understandable to a certain extent. So not a great film, but it will most likely please fans of either franchise despite how bad it is. I did like it the first time I saw it, but looking back at it, it was a mess of a film that had so much potential and even had an original version made with some of the original cast of the series reprising their roles. That I'd say would've been more well received than the version we got. Oh well, guess you can't have everything. 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...