Monday 19 December 2016

AC19: Movie Review - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

In the past few years, there has been some debate on what is considered canon in the Star Wars timeline and for now, I think Disney are doing ok with doing as many stories as they can to help us understand the things that took place between films that are canon while also making s**t tons of money in the process. So Disney's second Star Wars film and the first of many anthology films. I'll be honest, I wasn't sure about this film to begin with, but its safe to say that I found it better than I thought it would be in a year where not everything has been great for a lot of things. So is the force with us in this one, let's find out:

So skipping the traditional Star Wars thing of having a text scroll at the beginning, the Empire are busy on the construction of the Death Star and as a result, the imperial forces are seeking out people to help them by force. In the case of one family, a girl called Jyn Erso (played by Felicity Jones, no relation) at a young age, see her mother get shot and her father taken into custody to help make the Death Star. Years later, an older Jyn becomes a rebel and upon being freed by rebel forces from imperial captivity, she discovers information from her father about a vulnerability on the Death Star and along with her rebel team (which gets bigger as the film goes on), goes to find these plans, giving the rebels the upper hand (at least for now).

While it has a predictable ending and no text scroll at the beginning, the film is as I said earlier, better than what I expected it to be. They put in as many easter eggs/references to Star Wars in there, mainly that of the characters seen throughout the original trilogy such as the "I don't like you" duo. And we get to see Vader in a whole new light, but not to the point of changing everything we like about him because that would be bad. I also love the droid's humorous sarcasm, that just makes the film all the more enjoyable. The CGI in some characters is noticeable, but nothing like what we got in the prequels. So Star Wars fans will like this. General film goers will like this. People who are curious about how the Death Star plans were taken into R2-D2's custody will like this. The only people who won't, are probably film theorists out there. But hey, I liked it and from me, it gets a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...