Sunday 4 December 2016

AC4: Random Movie Review - X-Men: Apocalypse

A bit late I know, but I felt I should do a review of this film before the year ends. So in my honest opinion, I felt that Days of Future Past should've been the end of the original X-Men series of films and that is certainly the case. So now we have Apocalypse, the last X-Men film of the First Class trilogy which hopes to have us see younger versions of our favourite heroes kicking some butt and going up against a threat that could destroy the world. Let's see how it works:

So the films main focus is the titular character Apocalypse (played by Oscar Isaac, aka Poe from Star Wars 7) who was once known as the ruler of Egypt and believed to be the first of mutant kind. His followers betray him and have him encased in a tomb. He then awakens several years later to find that the world has "false gods" and attempts to rebuild it by destruction and recruits a young Storm (played by Alexandra Shipp), Psylocke (played by Olivia Munn), a newer version of Angel (played by fellow EastEnder Ben Hardy) and after dealing with some family issues, Magneto (reprised by Michael Fassbender) to help him and they start by using Prof. Xaiver (reprised by James McAvoy) and the Cerebro to send all nuclear weapons into space to prevent further interference with his plans. Soon, Xaiver is kidnapped by him and only his students can save him and the world.

I get so sick to death of these take over the world villains. Its like the film makers can't make any new villains that are not about taking over the world. But despite that, this film isn't the best nor the worst X-Men film to come out, but I feel that Fox have done all they can with these mutants and that there isn't much else they can do. I know continuity has always been an issue with these films, but after having seen every single one of these films, I doubt there will be much else Fox can do with it. I do hear that after Logan and maybe Deadpool 2 if that ever happens, that they plan to reboot the whole thing, but I don't know if that's going to work. They tried it with Fantastic 4 and that didn't go down well with anyone, so I don't know. I do know for sure that these characters don't really have a place in the MCU considering how very different and mature they are from the Avengers and other heroes in that cinematic universe. But whatever happens, lets just hope Fox make the right decision for the future of the X-Men films. Until then, I look forward to seeing Logan and I hope Deadpool 2 does get made even if the director of the first one doesn't return. Maybe Ryan Reynolds himself should direct it. It is his film after all and he is a fan of Deadpool so who knows. 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...