Wednesday 7 December 2016

AC7: Random Movie Review - Astro Boy

Very few films based on manga or anime have managed to do well with people and in light of the Ghost in the Shell live action remake coming out next year, I felt to have a look at one of these films and fortunately, not all of them are bad. Astro Boy is among the very few that are good. I may not know much about Astro Boy prior to watching the film, but I know that it's as faithful to the source material as it can get. Might be Americanised, but its better than DragonBall Evolution any day. So today as someone who knows a bit about the source material, my review is based purely on just the film alone. So let's get to it:

So the film follows a common plot line in which its about a father being distant from his son and then tragedy unfolds and the father feels guilty for having his boy be killed. But all is not lost as the father who is the head of the Ministery of Science in a floating city called Metro City, known as Dr. Bill Tenma (voiced by Nicolas Cage, one of the easiest impressions I can do), chooses to create a robot replica of his son who would call himself Astro Boy (voiced by Freddie Highmore, aka Charlie from Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). However the good doctor feels regret over this and eventually, Astro Boy manages to escape Metro City to find himself in the junkyard below. Then the rest of the film is both characters trying to reunite with one another and coming to terms of the events that have occurred.

Its neither good nor bad, but I enjoyed it for what it is. Its very colourful, its well acted, but I'd say children will enjoy this more than adults and I also find that fans of the manga will enjoy it too. Not much else to say other than that. 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...