Friday 30 December 2016

Best of 2016 - Mystery Box Items

So to finish up on my Best of 2016 things because even in a bad year, there are some good things to come out of it, I give you what I think are the best items I've received in my geek boxes. So how this will work is that I will look back at what I received in January through to December (but probably won't do that month anyway) this year and will try and think of at least one item in each box that I received that I thought was the best thing to come out of it. So let's get started:

Just a side note that I was originally going to use my photos of the boxes I received which were seen in my Boxes of Stuff posts. However because the task of doing that is time consuming, I will instead opt to just use text. But feel free to look at those posts in more detail if you wish.

January
In January, Loot Crate had Invasion as their theme while Nerd Block went for a fantasy theme and Geek Fuel did what they do best with their random items. Best item from Nerd Block was the Drogo figure because this was a character I wanted as a figure for a while so I was happy to receive it from Nerd Block. Best item from Geek Fuel was the time travel t-shirt as it manages to have not all but the most well known time travelling machines all lined up in a row which while quite simple, its a nice t-shirt to have. And finally, best item from Loot Crate was the Alien plush because its not only a plush, but it also has an elastic band which can be used to do the thing the Aliens tend to do. It was an overall good start for everyone I thought.

February
This month saw the release of the Deadpool film so all the boxes had at least one Deadpool item. Loot Crate went for a Dead theme containing items from The Walking Dead (to commemorate the return of season 6) and Deadpool. Nerd Block had a mostly Deadpool theme with some other items in for good measure. Geek Fuel also had some Deadpool items with other items too. And finally, I got my first Marvel Collector Corps for the year which was solely dedicated to Deadpool. For Nerd Block, the best item was the Power Glove oven mitts as it adds some 8-bit nostalgia to my life. For Loot Crate, the best item was the ear soap piece which is something from The Walking Dead and its pretty interesting. For Geek Fuel, the best item was the Retro magazine because I absolutely love the cover and would quite like to have it as a poster. And for Marvel Collector Corps, the best item was the Deadpool Funko figure which looks pretty kick-ass if I do say so myself. A mostly Deadpool themed month which was great as I love Deadpool as it is.

March
March 2016 saw the release of Batman V Superman, a much anticipated film for a lot of people which while it spilt the Internet apart, it still manages to give us some great merch. So Loot Crate went for a Versus theme which celebrates the occasions where pop culture icons go head to head with one another. And Nerd Block went with random items again as did Geek Fuel. For Loot Crate, the best item was the Alien figure which while I already have a smaller one from a previous box, its pretty cool. From Nerd Block, the best item was the Batman V Superman plaque, but I will say the autograph was pretty neat too. And from Geek Fuel, the best item was the Stan Lee book which is basically an autobiography of Stan Lee, told in comic book form which was pretty cool. An OK month for everyone, though I'm glad that each box didn't have too many Batman V Superman items, allowing more variety which was good.

April
April saw the release of Captain America: Civil War, another much anticipated film which acted as Marvel's answer to Batman V Superman and did quite well with people. Loot Crate decided to not do superheroes and instead do a Quest theme. Nerd Block had Weird Al Yankovic curate the box so the theme is based around him. Geek Fuel again had random items. And Marvel Collector Corps dedicated their box to the Civil War film. For Loot Crate, the best item was the Vikings flask which was a nice item to get. For Nerd Block, the best item was the Weird Al Simpsons figure which looked very accurate to the cartoon's take on him. For Geek Fuel, the best item was the Doctor Who art coasters which look great, but I also liked the Star Wars figure too. And for Marvel Collector Corps, the best item was again, the two Funko figures of Captain America and a flying Iron Man. A decent month all around and again, I like that all the boxes had more variety and weren't completely dedicated to Civil War.

May
In May, Loot Crate decided to have a Power theme while Nerd Block and Geek Fuel yet again, chose to be random once more. In Loot Crate, the best item was the Infinity Gauntlet oven mitts which while it has had some controversy, its still pretty badass. In Nerd Block, the best item was the "scared s**tless" Stay Puft Marshmallow Man plush which looks pretty funny. And in Geek Fuel, the best item was the Sir Francis Drake ring from Uncharted which even though I already have a replica, it's a better item to receive than what Loot Crate opted to do in the previous month, though I will also say that all the other items in Geek Fuel this time were great too. A pretty average month for everyone, but you're not always going to get a good month every time.

June
This time, Loot Crate went all dystopian while Nerd Block and Geek Fuel went random once again. And also Marvel Collector Corps dedicated their box to their women of power. In Loot Crate, the best item was the Fallout figure because I'm lacking in the Fallout merch so this was a nice addition to what I already have. In Nerd Block, the best item was the Tobin's Spirit Guide (Ghostbusters Edition) which was an interesting read. In Geek Fuel, the best item was a tie between the Mario pipe flower pot and the TMNT themed Pokeball which were both things I wanted to get for a while and I finally got them. And for Marvel Collector Corps, the best item was the She-Hulk and Miss Marvel mini figures as they were the only Marvel characters I could recognise in the box. Great month for some, not so much for others.

July
In July, Loot Crate went all futuristic while Nerd Block and Geek Fuel kept it random as always. For Loot Crate, the best item was the Planet Express ship as I've always wanted a model of it and now I have it. Best item in Nerd Block was the Joker plush toy which I liked very much though this block had items I have received before which is fine I guess. And the best item in Geek Fuel was the Tardis shower curtain as I've always wanted a life sized Tardis of my own and I kind of got it here to a certain extent. A pretty OK month for everyone. Neither of them were bad, but some of the items were a bit meh.

August
In August, Loot Crate went all anti-hero, Nerd Block and Geek Fuel were random again and Marvel Collector Corps got your friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man in it. Best item from Loot Crate was the Hellboy hand piggy bank as I haven't had a Hellboy item until that point. Best item from Marvel Collector Corps was the Spidey plush which was big and nice. Best item in Nerd Block was the Eye of Sauron snowglobe which is a great item to have if you're a Lord of the Rings fan. And the best item in Geek Fuel was the Taz figure as I haven't got any Looney Tunes figures until that point. A pretty good month all around I'd say.

September
In September, I had my last ever Loot Crate which was speedy. I also had my last ever Nerd Block Classic which like this month's Geek Fuel, was random. Best item in Loot Crate was the silver Flash figure which perfectly resembles speed. Best item in Nerd Block was the Joker figure which was a great item especially as I'm a Mark Hamill fan. And best item in Geek Fuel was the NES chopping board which brings some more nostalgia into my life.

October
So leaving Loot Crate behind, this month I started Arcade Block which like the official Nerd Block, is random, but with video game stuff than general nerd stuff. But I decided to keep Geek Fuel which was random again as well as Marvel Collector Corps which had a doctor of strange proportions in it. So the best item from Arcade Block was the Nightwing figure which is just as good if not better than the Joker figure I got in the previous month. Best item from Geek Fuel was the Game of Thrones dragon egg thing which was very detailed and serves as a nice ornament. And the best item from Marvel Collector Corps was the Doctor Strange Pop figure which was unusual, but still a pretty good figure to have. So even though I made some changes, its was a good month.

November
I don't really need to say much other than both Arcade Block and Geek Fuel are still random as always. Best item from Arcade Block was the Call of Duty shot glasses and while I'm not into Call of Duty, the shot glasses are great. And the best item from Geek Fuel was the Rocket Racoon and Groot socks which were nice to have. Not many items received this time, but still pretty good.

December
Well you can see my boxes of stuff for this one in a couple of weeks. Stay tuned.

So its been a good year for geek boxes. Got some great items and while some months were not great, I still love receiving them. Just to clarify that all my boxes of stuff posts are not sponsored. I buy these boxes like everyone else and you too can get your hands on them by searching for them yourselves. I hope I get some more awesome stuff next year so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...