Monday 19 June 2017

Random Movie Review - Assassin's Creed

I'm back and ready to continue my blogging. So one advantage with travelling to places around the world via airplane is that you can binge watch films that you missed when they were at the cinema and well I did just that. Now as I am behind on films that came out while I'm away, these reviews will be written up and posted in weeks where I'm not watching anything new and its going to be tricky with us UK folk now in summer which is where all the big films come out. So one of the films I watched on the flight was Assassin's Creed. Now just by the fact that it has an all star cast and very good director, you think it be good right? Well this is my opinion and it may not be what everyone else has said about it, but we shall see. So let's get to it:

So like the video games, the film is set in both the present and the past with the Granada War being the film's historical playground and 2016 being the present day. A convict sentenced to death for suspected murder named Callum (played by Michael Fassbender) gets freed by the Abstergo Foundation who fake his death, in the hopes that they can use him to help them find the Apple of Eden. So as you'd come to expect, this requires the use of the Animus and so Callum relives the memories of his ancestor Aguilar de Nerha (also played by Fassbender) to help Abstergo find the Apple of Eden, unaware of their true intentions and befriending people along the way while also experiencing the Bleeding Effect among many other things.

The film as the critics have said, is probably the best video game film to come out of 2016 though bearing in mind that its competition wasn't that great anyway. It also stays faithful and true to the video games by keeping its plot to being similar to the first game. I also liked that they did something different with the Animus and made it less Matrix like and I personally feel that doing it that way is more practical. But the big problem I have is that the game's motto is "History is our Playground" and well it felt like we were seeing more present day aspects than past ones and I think that's where the big let down is. The plot could have also been worked on to make it better and anyone who has played most of the games, can pretty much guess how it all plays out quite quickly. So its still not a good video game film, but at least it makes a very good effort to be like the games and not be like something else completely. 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...