Monday 29 May 2023

Random Movie Review - Marley and Me

 
For some reason, until recently, I had been avoiding this film like the plague. People warned me before going into this that it is a sad film. Or rather, is a good film, but had triggering moments and a sad ending. Of the two leads, I'm not too keen on Jennifer Aniston. Just find her a little annoying personally. As for Owen Wilson, can't get over his unique voice. But otherwise a very talented actor. Both of them are actually, and I have seen a lot of their work to say those things about them. So here we go with a doggy kind of film. I love dogs. My parents own one themselves (here he is on YouTube) and one of the toughest things to do to a dog, is putting them down. It's the worst thing imaginable, but usually needs a good reason. So let's do this:

John (played by Wilson) and Jenny Grogan (played by Aniston) are newly-weds who choose to move to South Florida from the very cold world of Michigan and take up reporting jobs at competing newspapers (which are still a thing today, despite technology). Both getting different assignments for each newspaper, but it helps them get by. Eventually, John senses that Jenny may be considering motherhood and on the suggestion of his friend and co-worker Sebastian (played by Eric Dane), they adopt a yellow Labrador receiver puppy which they call Marley, to test their readiness to have a family. What follows is the life and times of two reporters and their over-the-top dog and his misadventures.

As a comedy, the jokes, stunts and so forth are far from perfect, but overall decent. As a drama, it tackles the troubles people have as dog owners, well and also the serious nature of having a miscarriage and when a dog must pass on to the next life. Don't get me wrong, if you love dogs, you will enjoy this film despite the sad ending. I may not be too keen on Aniston in general, but I found her acting in this to be just fine. Likewise with Wilson. 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...