Monday 3 July 2023

Random Movie Review - Matilda: The Musical

 
A lot of you will remember the Danny DeVito film from way back when, and I often find that lots of people (including myself and some of my own friends) love one film and refuse to believe that a remake or a sequel is better. Some people just have a soft spot for one version, and I get that completely. I vaguely remember reading the book that this and the DeVito film were based on and while the DeVito film was more of a loose adaptation that captured the spirit of the book, this to me is more of a faithful adaptation despite being based on the stage musical which is also based on the book. With it being largely British this time around with many well known faces (at least to the UK) appearing, let's see if it beats DeVito's take:

As with the original film and the book, we begin in the maternity ward of a hospital where, despite parents usually adoring newborn babies, Mrs. Wormwood (played by Andrea Riseborough) is distraught to learn she is pregnant and in labour. Mr. Wormwood (played by Stephan Graham) is similarly distraught to learn that he has a daughter instead of a son, and the pair choose to not be aware of her existence. Matilda (played by Alisha Weir) ends up becoming a sweet child who often goes out to read books, much to the delight of the mobile librarian Mrs. Phelps (played by Sindhu Vee). However, Matilda hasn't been to school and following an inspection by teacher Jennifer Honey (played by Lashana Lynch) and an inspector, she is sent to school. There she comes into conflict with the headmisteress Agatha Trunchball (played by Emma Thompson) and soon develops powers to help her free her friends and teachers from her wrath.

People have their own opinions, of course, whether they like the DeVito film or this one. While most will still have a soft spot for the first film, this film I'd say is a much better take on the story. I have never seen the stage musical and I don't know what it's like. But I found a lot of enjoyment in this with the musical numbers, the acting and the set pieces. Won't be everybody's cup of tea like most Roald Dahl stories, but at least this time, it's a British film like the book and I like it over the DeVito film which was also a good take on the story. 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...