Tuesday 12 December 2023

TV Specials Review - Doctor Who (2023 Specials)

 
So it's back and while the 60th anniversary celebrations are not quite like the 50th celebrations, we do have a few specials that kind of celebrate series 4 of the revival era. In that, David Tennant and Catherine Tate are reunited in a trio of specials which continue Donna's story while also addressing the mystery behind the reason why the 14th Doctor has the look, personality and appearance of the 10th. I know I didn't really review Jodie Whittaker's final episodes (as far as I can remember), but as I remember them well, I will say they were pretty good and a nice way to end her era as the 13th Doctor as well as that production cycle as it was also Chris Chibnall's first and only tenure as executive producer and head writer. Exciting times lie ahead for Doctor Who as the small amount of money that Disney could offer the BBC, meant that it can be shown on Disney+ outside the UK while remaining on the BBC in the UK itself. In doing that, the franchise has now been given the name Whoniverse to allow the encompassing of the show's many spin-offs, documentaries, audio stories, comics and so forth as well as both the revival and classic eras of the show. So with Russell T Davis back at the helm and the production company Bad Wolf helping make the show going forward, let's see if these specials are worth watching:

The 14th Doctor (played by David Tennant), lands in present day Camden and bumps into Donna Noble (reprised by Catherine Tate) who continues to have no memories of him following what happened in series 4. Despite this, a supposed crashed spaceship leads UNIT to go investigate. Ultimately, this leads into the Doctor being forced to reactivate the DoctorDonna and a series of events unfold in which he faces a cute but deadly monster, a shape-shifting being from the edge of the universe and an old enemy of his First Doctor persona. Ultimately leading into a very unusual regeneration never before seen on the show.

Now, some loyal fans will feel very mixed about the show and its direction, as has been the case for many years. I personally enjoyed all three specials in terms of twists, turns and the whole idea of seeing this pair up again after so long. I watched the first one in a very difficult weekend for me, in which my twin sister was in hospital and sadly passed away just a few hours after the first special aired. Not only that, but I found comfort in it and very much enjoyed it and the other specials. It's been a long time coming, and I'm glad I got a chance to see them, and it's helped me during this very difficult time. 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...