Monday 22 January 2024

Random Movie Review - Gran Turismo

 
So I understand when a film adaptation of a video game is based on something that has characters, story and more. But when I saw this being advertised, I got confused. I mean, having played one of the Gran Turismo games, it doesn't really have a story and much of it is based on real life cars, tracks, racers and so on. Then it occurred to me that this is actually based on a true story that happened to be about a gamer that played a Gran Turismo game. But me not being keen on most racing games like Gran Turismo, I stayed clear of it. That is, until a film group that I'm part of, decided to choose that film as the film for discussion one week, so I decided to watch it. Starring a few familiar faces, but made by a director I have never heard of, has made feel concerned, but also hopeful that this could be another win for gaming movies. Mainly because it's not based on the game itself, but a true story to do with the game. Anyway, let's take a look:

The GT Academy is established through Nissan's motorsport division Nismo, after a successful pitch by marketing executive Danny Moore (played by Orlando Bloom). The Academy's goal is to recruit players of the Gran Turismo video games and turn them into real racing drivers. Former driver turned mechanic Jack Salter (played by David Harbour) is recruited by Danny to help train the drivers and although hesitant at first with the idea, he accepts due to his frustration with his team's driver. Jann Mardenborough (played by Archie Madekwe while the real one, is his stunt double), an avid player of the games, learns that he can enrol in the academy and despite family issues, does just that. Leading into a series of events that ultimately lead him into becoming one step closer to his dream of being a professional racing driver.

This film is fine. It's not terrible, nor is it good. It's pretty much a typical race car driver film, with the usual tropes and a few things that make it a little more original. In all honesty, I prefer this over Ferrari because it's just a little more interesting and is paced a lot better. My only issue is that with this being tied to video games, it does that thing where the actors are expected to talk like Idris Elba, which isn't a bad thing. But we British don't all talk like that, nor are posh. But that aside and Orlando Bloom trying to be an Aussie and not being all that convincing to me, it's a fine film. If you like the games, you'll find some enjoyment in this. If you like racing films, you may also find enjoyment in this. Those of you in need of an adrenaline rush, it has that, but you may be waiting a while for that to kick in. Again, just a fine film. Nothing more than that. 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...