Thursday 16 May 2024

Random Movie Review - Hit Man

 
Yeah, I know, it's a bit out of the ordinary me doing something that isn't to do with video games on a Thursday. There is an announcement post coming up which will explain this, but for now let's look at this film. So sometimes, Netflix decides that they want to bring some of their films to the big screen. Often as an excuse to both make more money and to see these films be seen on a big screen. I personally am all for films being seen on the big screen as they should be. But sometimes, films don't really need the big screen, and this is one of them. I saw this with a friend on a bank holiday recently when there wasn't much else on that we wanted to see. I'm very familiar with the director Richard Linklater as he has done a lot of films. Some of which are all-time favourites of mine (or should be anyway). Another person I surprisingly am familiar with that worked on this film, is Austin Amelio who I know from The Walking Dead franchise. Unrelated to the Hitman games and the Hitman's Bodyguard films, but nevertheless a film about a hitman of sorts. Let's take a look:

Gary Johnson (played by Glenn Powell) is a college professor who finds himself working as a reliable hitman for people. But in actuality, he's playing the role of a hitman to help the police put people wanting to commit crimes, in jail. He seems to have a knack for doing it, until he meets Maddy Masters (played by Adria Arjona), a battered woman who wants her husband dead to claim insurance money (and also because she hates him). Gary, under the guise of one of his hitman personas, convinces her not to go through with it and pursues better options. Leading into the pair having a romantic relationship, which may mean trouble for the police and Maddy's husband.

Talking as someone who is into men and women, I think the lead duo is hot in a number of ways and not just by looks alone. Saying that, it's a film that has all the makings of being predictable, cringy and cheesy. But somehow, I ended up laughing at it more than feeling any of those things. Sure it is predictable if you are used to these kinds of films, but I can't help but laugh at it, even in the parts that should not really be funny. But are funny anyway. It's reasonably acted, got a good cast, Gary's many personas are pretty decent and I enjoyed it. Probably won't watch it again, though, and I feel it would probably have been better off just being on the small screen. Some things Netflix have, are better being on the big screen than the small. But that's just me. 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...