Thursday 18 June 2015

Video Game Review - LEGO Jurassic World

After that T-Rex teaser in LEGO Batman 3 and then the reveal of the LEGO theme of the same name, I knew this was coming from a mile off. But that being said, this is the first license to be based on a Universal property which is a first for TT Games as they have previously done licensed games based on Warner Bros. and Disney properties (not saying LucasArts because well Disney own them now so no point). So let's see if the game does the films justice:

So the game follows the plots of all 4 films including the most recent Jurassic World with each film having 5 levels based on scenes in the films and a whole open world sandbox environment dedicated to each film. The game also has some familiar gameplay elements from previous LEGO games, some of which haven't been seen in quite some time. I won't go into too much detail about those elements because chances are that I have covered them in previous reviews. As this is a new license, there are some things that are new. Each of the characters have their own abilities which can be anything like healing a dinosaur, going into a pile of dino s**t to find stuff (I'm not kidding, you do genuinely do that), wall climbing, para-gliding, chopping branches and more. As well as human characters, you can also control the dinosaurs who also have their own abilities which is generally destroying certain objects more than anything else with the velociraptors being the most useful of the lot in my honest opinion. As I said, you have a world for each film which are fully explorable, especially with the 4th film because after seeing the film, I personally wanted to explore the park myself and this game was able to do that for me. But I do question why the 4th film world is unlocked straight away at the beginning of the game. Maybe for promotional purposes? I don't know. What some of you may not notice in some parts of the game, is that there are references to some of Spielberg's other work which I won't spoil here.

So on the whole, it is a good game. TT have done a good job of making a great Jurassic Park game which can be deemed as being among the best of the video games the franchise has had thus far. Its full of the signature LEGO humour, some of the audio does sound a bit dated, the gameplay while repetitive as always is great and if you love the films, this is a great game to have. Just make sure to watch Jurassic World before playing that portion of the game because you know, spoilers. 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...