Thursday 16 July 2015

Boxes of Stuff - June 2015

This time Loot Crate go all cyber on us, we take a trip to the UK in Nerd Block, My Geek Box shows us what abilities we could have, Infinity Crate shows us the meaning of gathering, we shrink to the size of an ant in Marvel Collector Corps and its a 90s takeover in Geek Fuel. Let's unbox them and see what we get:

My Geek Box - Abilities
So in My Geek Box, we have a t-shirt which looks like a university t-shirt for the fictional Mutant Academy in the X-Men universe. We also have a Star Wars mouse pad which I believe is different for everyone (I got a Clone Wars one). A set of Spider-Man trading cards is another thing I got as well as a set of Marvel badges. As its now been considered a staple in My Geek Box, I also got some sweets so that was nice of them. But of course the main item in this box, is the Pop vynl figure which is said to be exclusive to My Geek Box and I got Cyclops from X-Men and without his visor. So I think the abilities theme is certainly represented by the powers of the Marvel heroes and the Jedi and Sith and I would want a bit more of a variety, but I do like both Marvel and Star Wars so I'm happy.

Nerd Block - British Invasion
The British Are Coming!! Yeah just felt like saying that. OK so Nerd Block took a tip to my home country of the UK to give us some British stuff. In the box, we have 2 Doctor Who items because you can't have a British Nerd Block with DW and what we have is 2 exclusive items which are a 10th Doctor Titan figure with glasses and his Sonic Screwdriver and an art print of a few of the Doctor's most reoccuring enemies in recent years which you can get in blue or the rare green that I got. Mr Bean is also present in the box as we have a bendy Mr Bean figure and his companion Teddy which I don't know if its the real deal or not, but still, we have Teddy. Also got a Monty Python set of fridge magnets so you can scatter your fridge with the word spam all over it. And the last thing is a Sherlock t-shirt which says Bored on it (better not wear this t-shirt when watching something or being around people or at work because that would be bad). So Nerd Block did a pretty good job of keeping with the British theme and giving people what I would call the most well known of British franchises in the box so good work.

Loot Crate - Cyber
Loot Crate this time decided to go all cyber presumably in preparation for Terminator: Genesys. Speaking of which, we have two Terminator items which are a Terminator skull which if you transform the box, can be put in the box to make it look like a Terminator thing as it were. The other Terminator item, is a brain so yeah. Optimus Prime and Tron have merged together to give us this Loot Crate's T-shirt which looks pretty cool and very neon. Also got an envelope containing posters of a character who am right to believe is from Battlestar: Galatica. Borderlands is also present as I got a massive mouse pad of the robot character that you can play as in the second game. Also have a cyber pouch which can glow in the dark. so that's pretty cool. And the last two items, I don't know where they come from, but one is a patch and the other is a set of stickers. All those, plus the Loot Crate magazine and badge. A pretty decent box with a lot of cyber stuff in it I have to say.

Infinity Crate - Gather
Now as always with Infinity Crate, every item is different for everyone as its tailor made to you based on your interests. In the box, I got a Claptrap Pop vynl figure because in every box, there's always a T-shirt and a Pop vynl figure and Claptrap is certainly one that is always good for a companion if you can put up with that voice of his. Also got a small poster which explains what collectibles are and why people go out of their way to look for them in games. A set of badges as well which are all to do with franchises that uses the term gather such as Pokemon to name one of a few. Another great companion to have, Yoshi who isn't the Wooly World sort, but still nice to have him. The t-shirt took me a little while to understand what it mean't, but I then realized that its to do with carrying too much stuff. And we also get some bubble gum as well. A good box I have to say.

Marvel Collector Corps - Ant-Man
So if you remember the Age of Ultron box, you're pretty much getting the same stuff again, just with Ant-Man on the name. The Pop is an exclusive Ant-Man figure without his helmet and a mini one to just show the size of an ant. The t-shirt has the film logo with the actual size of Ant-Man in his small form. The patch and the badge both have Ant-Man on them. The comic is also an Ant-Man one. But what is different this time, is that we get not one, but two small figures of characters in Ant-Man. So all I have to say here, is that while I do like what I got here, I think Marvel could do better like maybe put in other stuff as well as figures, a t-shirt, a comic book, a patch and a badge. Not saying that those things are bad, I just think you could put more thought and effort into what goes into the box and not have the same sort of items every time.

Geek Fuel - 90s Takeover
Now we're talking. Geek Fuel this time, decided to dedicate their box to those who were bought up in the 90s (like me) or just enjoy the things that came out in the 90s (also like me). In the box, we have a Mortal Kombat bookmark which says "Finish It!!" which I found quite funny. Also got a Power Rangers fridge magnet (I got Red Ranger). The t-shirt has made me quite curious as its one that is basically trying to say that the truth is out there which I'm inclined to believe myself. Got some Ooze which you could say is Geek Fuel trying to see if you can make real TMNTs, but I doubt it will work, but its still fun to have. At a $10 vaule, the Steam download this time is for Super Win The Game which is a game that pays homage to old school retro games in the exploration and platforming genres (we also got a key to go with it as well). But the best things in the box this time, is the two Jurassic Park books which the first two films of the trilogy, were based on so that will certainlly be a good read for me.

So its been a pretty good month for the boxes. Loot Crate I felt was good, but some of the stuff in the box, I had no idea where they come from aside from the franchises that I mentioned. Marvel's box felt too similar to their Avengers one so I'm hoping they take into account on what I said and do better next time. My Geek Box felt too Marvel for my liking, especially as their theme was Abilities and for a theme like that, I would expect more than just Marvel for the items, but the Pop figure was a nice one to have. Infinity Crates I thought kept with the theme well, but it did take me a little while to figure out what the t-shirt mean't. So really it all comes down to Geek Fuel and Nerd Block who both had things that are from franchises I know and love and I don't really know who to pick out of those two for the winner of June 2015. So on this occasion, its a draw, but on the whole, its been a strong month for everyone this time.

Thanks for the 100 views guys. Much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...