Monday 7 September 2015

Boxes of Stuff - August 2015

This time the summer hits Nerd Block, we look at some Toons in My Geek Box, its a villains revenge in Loot Crate, the secret wars is out in Marvel Collector Corps, its all about unity in Infinity Crate and Geek Fuel goes back to school. Let's unbox them shall we:

Nerd Block - Summer Mix Tape
I know the Nerd Block box isn't there, but I can assure you that all these items were from the Nerd Block Classic box for August this year. Anyway so in the box we have 3 Ghostbusters items which are a Slimer plush toy, a Ghostbsuters t-shirt and a lunch box which looks like the trap used to store the ghosts which works out for a summer box. Next we have some medieval coasters for those of us who like to keep our tables dry from wet cups and what have you. Because the hot days can get us stressed, we have a Rubiks cube stress toy. And finally from the people at Awkward Family Photos, we have a set of postcards with family photos on them to give us something to laugh and enjoy over the summer. Its a pretty good box this month and I did worry that the Ghostbusters items wouldn't work, but it worked in the end so that's great.

My Geek Box - Toons
Kind of strange that My Geek Box are doing a box on cartoons even though they have done something similar before. But anyway, I can't complain. So in the box we have 2 Minion items which are a keyring and some wristbands. Also have a Simpsons doughnut cushion with a Family Guy socks to keep fans of both shows happy. Adventure Time fans, there is a blow up sword for you to enjoy. And we also have some sweets, a Mickey Mouse t-shirt and a voucher for anyone wanting a gaming magazine. A decent box, but I'd say there have been better ones in the past.

Loot Crate - Villains 2
So after having a month of heroes, the natural way that Loot Crate would go for this month, is with the villains which was a pretty predictable move if you ask me. Anyway so we have 4 items in the box. The first is a Loot Crate exclusive wooden Joker figure with a changing head (good to know that wooden toys are not forgotten just yet). 2 Marvel items with one being a well crafted Venom mug and a Hydra symbol pin badge (hail Hydra). And as a first for Loot Crate, we have a Breaking Bad apron which has the logo of Gus Fring's fast food chain of restaurants (which is secretly a drug enterprise), Los Pollos Hermanos where something delicious is always cooking. Those and also the monthy badge and magazine. While I'm not a fan of boxes that have a very small set of items inside, the items in the box are great and I think Loot Crate did well. I wish there was more stuff, but I'm happy with what I got anyway.

Infinity Crate - Unity
Again, this is definetly Infinity Crate, alright? Anyway so as this mystery box is tailored to my interests, the stuff inside are things that I enjoy so the rest of you may get something different to what I got. The t-shirt I got this time is a Mario and Luigi t-shirt which is great considering that I love the Super Mario franchise as a whole. The Pop vinyl figure this time is Maggie from The Walking Dead (TV series). And the poster which is off the picture here, this time is one that has members of the Suicide Squad presumably there to get me pumped for the film's release next year. As for the other items, I got a Minions spring/slinky (whatever you call it) and a zip attachment and an Adventure Time lanyard. Its not the biggest box on this list, but I'm happy with what I personally got in my box.

Marvel Collector Corps - Secret Wars
So one of the storylines that Marvel comics have going on right now, is to do with the Secret Wars and that is the theme of Marvel Collector Corps this time. In the box, we have a secret wars patch and pin badge (which are staples in the box). We also have a Secret Wars t-shirt and a comic book which is sealed this time which I like. And we have not one, but two Pop vinyl figures of Spider-Man and Thor as their Secret Wars counter-parts. I'm pretty satisfied with this box. Its not often that you get 2 Pop vinyl figures in one box and I see that the team are listening to our feedback which is great.

Geek Fuel - Back to School
Well at least Geek Fuel has got you covered for going back to school. So in the box, we have a Deadpool t-shirt to build up the hype for his film. We also have a Nuka Cola bottlecap from Fallout presumably to build up the hype for Fallout 4. Some people will get a book where we find what the world is like from the perspective of either Wolverine or Spider-Man and I got the latter. A mini Pop! of Finn from Adventure Time is in the box as well (and in some boxes, you will instead get Jake). The Steam game this time is Aaru's Awakening which is at $15 value and comes with some stuff that you can use with fire (ask a responsible adult to help you if you're a child). And finally for us nerds with hunger problems, we have a TMNT lollipop. Not quite what I had in mind for the theme of this box, but I'm happy.

So for the month of August, Nerd Block I would say gave us a summer theme a little bit too late, but the stuff in it was a good set of stuff. My Geek Box were spot on on their Toons theme, but I just can't help but feel that this theme has been done before. Loot Crate's theme was pretty predictable with having had Heroes 2 the previous month and while the items I got were great, there just isn't enough items this time. Infinity Crate I will say is spot on with their Unity theme and I'm happy with what they sent me. As a Marvel fan, the Secret Wars is something that I do know about, however I worry that some people who get this box, may not know what it is and why Thor is female. And as for Geek Fuel, as I said the items that are to go with the theme, I wouldn't really see as a back to school items, but at least the items are things for people to look forward to in the months to come. A mixed bag this time with all boxes having a mixed response from me. I say this time that its a tie with Geek Fuel and Marvel Collector Corps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...