Friday 4 December 2015

AC4: Boxes of Stuff - November 2015

This time, Nerd Block gets into the holiday spirit, Loot Crate has Scorpion of Mortal Kobmat to tell you to "Get Over Here!!!" and Geek Fuel is random again. Now you might be wondering why the list is so small this time. Well I felt that after recieving My Geek Box and Infinity Crates for most of the year, both seem to lack any form of exclusive items that you can't get anywhere else. Saying that however, the quality of their items is just ok. Its not bad, its not great. Its just ok. But one thing I will say is that Infinity Crates keep to their word when they say that they send items to you based on your interests and My Geek Box is good when it comes to tailoring to those who don't live near the high street because most items in their boxes, you can get on the high street anyway. So with that addressed, let's get to some unboxing:

Nerd Block - Tis the Season
So in Nerd Block, there are some items that fit well into the holiday spirit, but there are also some items that do not, but are there anyway. So as if I don't have enough Star Wars merch as it is, Nerd Block sent me a 16 month calendar with the new film as its theme which I quite like and is the first calendar so far for next year that I have received from anyone or any company. The t-shirt I quite like as its a mash up of Back to the Future (which most of the boxes I received last month had an item of because of the events of the second film being in that particular month) and Nightmare Before Christmas, two films that I love and cherish. Coming from Firefly is the Serenity ship which can be hung up in your Christmas tree as an ornament. Next we have a National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation moose shot glass, I haven't seen any of those films, but its a festive glass so I'm cool with it. And we now come to our final two items which don't keep with the theme, but are still good to have. The first is an exclusive Sherlock vinyl figure from Titan, I have a few of these figures already so I'm very familiar with those items. And finally, we have an item that isn't on the spoiler card that comes with the box, which looks like Bill Murray as a cowboy with his upper half removed from the rest of the body, possibly in reference to him being in the film Zombieland. It also looks like its been signed by someone as well if you look very carefully. So Its a pretty good box that gets you in the mood for the holiday spirit along with a couple of items to fulfil the nerd inside you so good job Nerd Block.

Loot Crate - Combat
So in a time when the sales are on and its Christmas, there be a war going on, so Loot Crate thought that anyone going into the high street better be prepared for combat. So coming from the Hunger Games (and just in time for the new film which I reviewed not too long ago), we have a pin badge of the Mockingjay. Coming from Fallout (and just in time for the release of Fallout 4), we have a Vault Boy bobble head, a must have for any fan of the franchise. Coming from Street Fighter, we have an exclusive comic book which from what the description in the magazine that comes with this box is telling me, its a crossover between Loot Crate and Street Fighter, how that is going to work, I just don't know. Coming from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is Shredder Sunglasses which looks more like a mask than sunglasses, but that's me. And aside from the badge, we also have 2 items from Blizzard which are a Cute But Deadly vinyl figure and magnet set. An all around good set of items that keeps with the theme of combat and for the most part, its all exclusive which is great. I know the box may be a transforming one, but honestly, I just got lost while trying to make it so yeah.

Geek Fuel - Randomness
I'm getting a feeling that Geek Fuel are just going to stay doing random things from now on. Thats fine and I'm cool with that. So in this random box, we have a Hunger Games sticker which I believe is the symbol used for the final film, but I could be wrong. As always, we have a Steam game which this time is Defence Grid 2 and comes with an excerpt from a book about the making of it and the game is at $15 value. In celebration of the 30th anniversary of Ghostbusters (as if there isn't enough of those already), I also got a deck of themed cards which will go well with my other ones. The ghosts of Pac-Man are here in the form of a salt and pepper shaker and even though I could've got this from the high street, I actually don't have a salt and pepper shakers so these will do just fine. In preparation for the new Star Wars film next month, the t-shirt has what looks like to be the assembly of a T-70 X-Wing (and I wish I could have the money to buy all these Star Wars ships in full scale, but oh well). And it seems that Geek Fuel are now also doing these clever competitions where you can win some stuff and this time, its to do with Fallout 4 and you use the security card you get in this box and enter the required information on the website to win something (I unfortunately didn't win anything, but it was a nice touch and better than last month's one where I had to call a number that isn't a UK number so my phone didn't recognise it). And speaking of Fallout, I also get a poster with the game's motto "War. War Never Changes". Very random, but at least it has items that tie in to recent game and film releases as well as some other stuff too.

I think that having removed My Geek Box and Infinity Crates was the right move as its made more easier for me to keep my finances in check and I get great quality items in all 3 of these boxes, the majority of which are exclusive to these boxes. So I think for this time, Nerd Block definitely got me in the mood for the holiday season, but not every item matched the theme, but I'm still happy with what I got (and Nerd Block have informed me and other Facebook users that the Bill Murray poster was a last minute addition which explains why its not on the spoilers card). Loot Crate managed to get almost all items to be exclusive and all fit well with the theme and I liked all the franchises represented in that box. As for Geek Fuel, yes its random, but it manages to have items tied in with recently released films and video games. So based on that, Loot Crate wins.

Next time, there will be all the usual boxes, plus a bonus one from Loot Crate and if you've been on their website this past Monday, you'll know which box I'm on about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...