Thursday 17 March 2016

Random Video Game Review - This War of Mine

So this game came out last year, but only recently has it been put in the spotlight as it were. Also, now that I have a gaming PC, most multi-platform games that come out from now on, I will review the PC version (and not to sound arrogant or anything, but I'd say the PC version of any multi-platform game is better, unless its say Batman: Arkham Knight which had multiple technical problems as well as it being locked at 30FPS). So like most PC gamers, I use Steam for my PC games unless its from EA in which case I use Origin (but since I hate most EA games, that will only be used for Star Wars, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, some PopCap games and some indie games like Unravel) or Ubisoft in which case I use Uplay though I can still buy new Ubisoft games from Steam anyway. So enough talk about that, let's look at this interesting game:

My understanding of the story is that its a post-apocalyptic era where the ultimate goal is to survive this so called "War of Mine" using tools and materials that the characters find over time. The player (me and you) have to control each character and build up their skills because (and the developers also admit to this as well) the characters will be utter useless if you don't. The game kind of follows a platforming style of gameplay with point and click elements thrown into the mix. Following the footsteps of games like Dead Rising and Pikmin, this game has a time duration in which if you don't succeed by the time the time finishes (which unlike other games like this, its randomised), all characters will die. But assuming you keep helping these characters then in the end, only some or most of them will die. It all depends on me and you, the player.

It is a pretty interesting, but somewhat depressing game which gives players complete control in what they want to do (something of which games released these days should take into account *cough* EA and Activision) and I guess is just built on the idea of giving players the freedom to do what they like, but on a time limit. Given this game was published by the same publishers who did the Saints Row and Dead Island game, I give them credit for publishing a very interesting and unique game which will no doubt be one indie game that puts those yearly triple A titles to shame. 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...