Monday 30 May 2016

Random West End Show Review - Kinky Boots

For a title like this, most people would go in thinking that this is going to be ever so camp seeing as most of the advertising material has a man wearing high heel boots that are typically worn by girls. But being the person I am, I went to see this with an open mind and while it did feel camp from time to time, it actually was something else altogether. Let's take a look:

Based on the 2006 film of the same name, we meet a guy called Charlie Price (played by Killian Donnelly of Les Miserables fame) who inherits his father's factory after his old man passes away, ultimately being bored of shoes and desperate to move to London with his girlfriend to pursue a career in real estate. With the shoe factory failing in the mens shoes department, Charlie feels hopeless to bring the once great factory back into top form. That is until he meets a drag queen called Lola (played by Matt Henry who you may know as a contestant from the second series of The Voice in the UK) who inspires him to create high heel boots in a desperate attempt to save the factory. But as their partnership goes into play, they both soon realise that despite their differences, they are not so different after all.

Despite the campiness, this show is actually really good. The music is fantastic and really captures what is going on in every scene and actually makes me feel pumped from time to time. The show ultimately in my view, is all about acceptance. Accepting people for the way they are and what they do. This is something that I have learned for many years, though some of my former friends don't see acceptance the way me and this show do. Give it a watch is all I can say. 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...