Tuesday 20 September 2016

(Belated) Batman Day Special - RCBR - Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth

I know I'm a little bit late to the party, but Batman day is a day I like. Why? Because I too am a Batman fan as you all know. I've watched the films, read the comics, seen the cartoons and other TV shows and I even have some merchindise as well. Now obviously I haven't done every single one of those things, but I'd say I've done more than enough to classify myself as a hardcore Batman fan. I mean in my honest opinion when it comes to who's the greatest superhero, Superman is overrated and while some of the Marvel heroes have had some iconic lines such as "With great power comes great responsibility" (Spider-Man) and "I fight for truth and justice" (Captain America) and are just in general more light hearted, I consider Batman to be the greatest superhero because there is just so much you can do with him that the possibilities are endless and unlike most superheroes, he is just a human being who earns lots of money that is often put towards his endless crusade. But enough about that, let's talk about a comic book that partially influenced the very first Batman: Arkham game:

So Batman is sent by Commissioner Gordon to go to Arkham Asylum where the inmates have taken over the facility and will murder staff if Batman doesn't agree to meet them. Upon his arrival, he sees that the Joker is leading the pack and ventures through the facility meeting a number of characters including some well known and not so well known villains like Two-Face, Scarecrow and the previously mentioned Joker.

This is probably the darkest Batman story I have read. Its dark, its mysterious and in some areas, pretty messed up. But it is a great story with some great artwork to go with it which makes me see Joker as one of those well known creepypastas you hear about. I'm pretty impressed that Rocksteady used this story to influence the first game because its pretty much what many of us expect to see in a facility for the criminally insane and that game won Game of the Year because of it. No flaws here, it gets a perfect 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...