Monday 19 September 2016

Movie Series Review - The Terminator (1-2)


So another one from James Cameron that has won awards are Terminator and its sequel Terminator: Judgement Day. To this day, they are the only two films of the franchise that are actually good. Anything that came out after these two films are just not that good and I refuse to watch any further Terminator films until they make a good film. The third film I won't watch because a friend of mine once told me to not watch it if I value my sanity, the fourth film I won't watch as it disconnects from the series in general and there's no Arnold Schwarzenegger in it and the fifth film I won't watch because it's confusing as hell, it's made by the same studio behind Michael Bay's Terminator films and Arnold is not funny in it. While it may sound like I have seen it, I have only seen bits of those films through things like CinemaSins and Honest Trailers and that's as far as I'm going to go with them. James Cameron himself said that Terminator was really only supposed to be two films and I have to agree. So let's go terminating:



The Terminator
So to summarize what's happening, we have a future where mankind is overthrown by robots simply known as Terminators and as such, in order to prevent certain events from happening, a Terminator is sent from the future, takes the form of Arnold Schwarzenegger and goes on a mission to kill Sarah Conner (played by Linda Hamilton) who will one day have a child who would become the leader of mankind's survivors in their battle against Skynet, the makers of the Terminators. At the same time, a man called Kyle Reese is sent from the future to protect Sarah Conner from being in lack of a better word, terminated. I have to admit, this is one of the best action films I have seen. Its dark, has a futuristic feel without using too much CGI and there's no one better to play the titular character than Arnold. A masterpiece of a film. Go watch it. 9/10

2: Judgement Day
So as time passes, Sarah eventually has her son John Conner (played by Edward Furlong) and through his childhood, she prepares him for his eventual role as the leader of mankind's survivors. As a second attempt to take them down, Skynet sends from the future a newer and more advanced Terminator with liquid and shapeshifting abilities called the T-1000 who takes the form of Robert Patrick in a police officer uniform. At the same time, mankind sends an older and less advanced model, reprogrammed to protect the mother and son, the T-800 who takes the form of Arnold Schwarzenegger. This is one of those rare films where the sequel is just as good if not better than the first one and I have to agree. The first one was a great film and this film upped the action and built upon almost everything the first film had. Plus changing from a villain to a hero was unexpected, but worked quite well for Arnold's character. Another masterpiece of a film. 9/10

And before you ask, no I am not going to see nor review the other films because they all suck according to critics and one friend of mine said to me to not watch the other films if I value my sanity which I do. But having said that, I'm glad I had the opportunity to see these two great films and whether the franchise will continue after Genisys or not (but ideally with people who know a lot about great and clever film making), it should've only been two films and thats it. 2 great masterpiece films, one great franchise but far too many bad sequels, prequels, remakes, reboots and video games. 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...