Friday 23 December 2016

AC23: Random Movie Review - 101 Dalmations (1961)

Well I knew I would be tackling this one eventually. You all know about me liking the live action version and having it as one of my all time favourite films, but this was the film that came before it. The plot is exactly the same (well except for the game development side of things and the Americanising of it) with the only major difference being that its animated and all the animals are talking. Well maybe it won't be as dark as Lady and the Tramp so let's get those puppies. Those 101 puppies:

So we meet a man and his dalmatian dog. Being sick of single life, the dog named Pongo (voiced by the late Rod Taylor) on his walk one day, decides its time to find his owner a wife and in turn, a mate for himself and he manages to do just that. The man meets a woman with a female dalmatian named Perdita (voiced by Cate Baur) and they get married. A while later, Perdita gives birth to 15 puppies which attracts the attention of Cruella De Vil (voiced by the late Betty Lou Gerson), a wealthy lady who wants to buy the puppies to make a fur coat, but her offer is rejected. She then hires a couple of goons to kidnap them and so Pongo and Perdita use the Twilight Bark to have the local dogs help them find their puppies and others who have been kidnaped while also trying to stop De Vil and her goons in the process.

One thing I will say is that Cruella De Vil lives up to her name. She is as cruel and heartless as any pure evil villain would be. I expected nothing less.  Another thing to point out is how well the film is able to look like a moving piece of art which is pretty impressive I have to say. It too has aged well and I enjoy how much it feels like watching those old Saturday morning cartoons. I do like it a lot and would watch it again and again if I so choose. 9/10

Now as I have reviewed this film and its live action remake (via the all time favourite films list for the latter), I thought to briefly mention my thoughts on the remake's sequel of which I have seen as well. Its not a perfect sequel by any means, but its enjoyable at best and to be honest, the remake itself is better. No cheap CGI and mostly practical effects as opposed to what 102 had. Its just far better. That's all I can say so it gets a 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...