Monday 6 November 2017

Random West End Show Review - Annie

So last West End Show review for the year (probably) and we're looking at a timeless classic about a little orphan girl who only wants to find her real parents. Now Annie has had a musical many times before as well as some films and for what its worth, it is a worthwhile story. So my original plan was to go see this for the sake of Miranda Hart (of which I'm a big fan of) who is a British actor and comedian for those of you who don't know. But in the end and due to money and time, I instead went to see it while Strictly Come Dancing's Craig Revel Horwood was in it and sure I was disappointed in not seeing Miranda, but when I have things to do like work and stuff, it can't be avoided. So with all that said, let's talk about Annie:

So as this is a well known story, I won't go into too much detail about it. But to summarise, it's all about this little girl called Annie (played by Lola Moxom) who is an orphan and just wants to find her parents. She lives in an orphanage which is being run by Miss Hannigan (played by Horwood) who is a bit of a alcoholic and has the children go into manual labor to sew things (the majorty of money that gets goes in her pockets). But when a rich man wants Annie to spend Christmas with him, Annie's life gets a whole lot better for her and she receives a new form of hope that she can find her parents. But Miss Hannigan has other plans in mind.

The show was a good watch I will give it that. I thought the stage looked great. Everybody played their parts well. But as someone who isn't as familiar with the story than others (with the one exception being the song "Its a Hard Knocked Life"), there were some plot points that had been addressed, but were never resolved such as what happened to the dog and the homeless people that Annie came across. Also as much as I enjoyed Craig Revel Horwood in drag, he wasn't in it as much as I wanted and given that he is the main star aside from Annie herself, its a bit dissapointing. So its not the worst show I have seen, but I wish it was better and didn't have a rushed ending like it did. 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...