Tuesday 12 May 2020

Random TV Miniseries Review - Tiger King

Its seems strange that I would review a reality series like this when I have never done a review of such a show before. But seeing as this show has become the newest most watched show since its debut on Netflix, I decided to give it a watch and review it. Part of its success is of course owed to the coronavirus because as many of us can't leave our homes, the Internet is the only place where we can entertain ourselves. Its no Steve Irwin, but there will be plenty of madness in this show I'm sure. So let's enter unusual territory and have a look at some tigers:

Now as it is a reality series, everyone in the show are not actors and are real people with real stories. But as with most reality shows, some parts are edited for dramatic effect and what you hear may be taken way out of context. So the series is about some people who have dedicated their time to create private zoos and sanctuaries for tigers while raising these deadly animals themselves. The main focus is on the eccentric owner of the G. W. Zoo in Oklahoma called Joe Exotic and also looks at the bitter long feud he has had with the CEO of Big Cat Rescue called Carole Baskin. One side believes its all a competition while the other believes that making a sanctuary for big cats held in captivity is the right thing to do. Their long ongoing feud gets the attention of not only PETA, but also the US Fish and Wildlife service. What follows is a long fight full of threats, lies, prison time and all sorts while also looking at other like-minded people too.

Now often with shows like this, I choose to try to avoid them as much as possible because I loath reality TV. But I guess what got me interested in Tiger King was of how it became that one show that just so happened to be released during a pandemic and reminds us of a time when things like this were happening so often and I actually quite like it. I tend to get too involved when watching shows like these for too long, but the more I watched this, the more I felt sorry for the actual tigers themselves. Having to put up with their disgruntled owners who just love to make a scene. So yeah I would give a watch if you haven't done so yet. It reminds us of how important it is to not make animals like tigers go extinct but also the importance of their treatment after being "saved" by these people. 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...