Monday 7 August 2023

Movie Review - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem

 
It's been a while since we last saw these dudes on the big screen, and I have to say, I was pretty excited when I saw this advertised. Not only does it use the same stylistic CGI animation like a select few films have used recently, but it's also produced by Seth Rogen and his production company Point Grey who usually do pretty good and funny films. It's also one that is not produced by Michael Bay, and thank the lord because most of his films are just not very good. I feel it's a return to form for the turtles here and I once again, went with my cinema buddies to go see this, and I bought a promotional cup too. So let's have a look and see what's cowabunga about this film:

At some point in the past, a vial of mutagen, finds itself in the sewers and begins to affect a rat and four turtles. The rat, called Splinter (voiced by Jackie Chan), takes the turtles in as his sons. His sons long for the day when they can be among the humans, and Splinter fulfils their wish, which ends in disaster. He therefore decides to teach martial arts to the turtles and lets them out to raid for supplies, but nothing else, as he now hates humans. His sons, now teenagers, still long for the day when they can be among humans and be accepted by them and soon get that chance when they meet April O'Neil (voiced by Ayo Edebiri) who just so happens to be investigating a criminal by the name of Superfly (voiced by Ice Cube) who has big plans that may actually be what the turtles are needing... or not.

The film, overall, is not perfect. But it is a far better film than any of the Bay films and even makes the very original films, a run for their money. The turtles are actually teenagers and each of them look unique. The animation makes it feel like it's a combination of children's drawings and comic books. It's fun, dark, has respectful pop culture references (more so than the Bay films did) and makes me want to go and have pizza. I think of all the turtles in this film, Donnie is my favourite because his voice, personality and what he does in the film, makes him so adorable. The other turtles are cool too, and I'm glad the filmmakers decided to cast actual teenagers in those roles. Overall, I give Mutant Mayhem a 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...