Thursday 8 February 2024

Random Video Game Review - Scorn

 
So I played a bit of this for an upcoming Humble Choice YouTube video and having since played a bit more (not recorded), it's certainly a very bizarre game for one that has been described as a horror survival adventure game. Given to us by the people behind one of the three Cat Quest games and inspired by the works of H. R. Giger and Zdzislaw Beksinski who were both visual artists. Played in first person and having a biopunk theme, it's going to be another weird one, but I do like all things weird. Let's go:

Set in an unknown realm following a devastating war, you control an entity who is lost in a nightmarish world filled with strange creatures and structures made of machines, flesh and bone (some of which is living). Much of the game is you playing as this thing and trying to explore the world to suss out its lore while fending off any creatures that may try to kill you. Gameplay is a mix of solving various machine like puzzles, combat with limited weapon choice and exploration in this very unusual world.

Now I have played many different weird games for as long as I can remember, and I can definitely say that this is weird, but not a game I would dare play again. It's not an outright terrible game and the lore and world, do give me chills. But the combat feels unnecessary and tedious, which could've probably been stripped away if anything, and it would still be a decent game. 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...