Thursday 11 June 2015

Boxes of Stuff - May 2015

This time, we head into the bizarre and peculiar world of Anime in Nerd Block, teams are United in Loot Crate, weep at the sight of the Weeping Angels in Geek Fuel and I look at my very first Infinity Crate which has the theme of LOSS. Now as you may have noticed, I didn't mention of My Geek Box. This is because for some odd reason, my subscription payment screwed up so I've decided to skip May's box which is a shame, but these things happen and you have to live with it. So assuming things go according to plan, I will be doing My Geek Box next time. For now, let's do some unboxing:

Nerd Block - AniMay
So those of you wondering what Anime is, allow me to explain. Its a name used to describe the animation of a TV show or film or just some random video and these are generally animation that comes from Japan. DragonBall Z, Pokemon, Cowboy Bebop and even the stuff Studio Ghibli brings out (My Neighbour Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away to name just a few). They are all Anime and May's Nerd Block is dedicated to that. So in the box, we have a Pop! Vynl figure and what I got is Perfect Cell from DragonBall Z which I would be more excited about, if I didn't have the figure already (which I do). Next is a Cowboy Bebop bandanna or buff as I call it, you can use it as a scarf or that thing pirates wear to name but a few of its uses. We were promised that Totoro would be in the block and he is in the form of badges so you get a set of 4 badges with characters from My Neighbour Totoro and other Studio Ghibli works. I also got my first ever manga book (a very unusual read if I do say so myself) which is one from Neon Genesis Evangelion which I know my sister loves and yeah it was quite an interesting read, especially as you have to read it in a certain way compared to other books I've read. I also got an Attack on Titan bag which is pretty cool. And the last thing (aside from the info card) is the t-shirt which is a Gundam one and it looks pretty awesome. So while I'm not a huge Anime fan, I do enjoy it, especially DragonBall Z, Studio Ghibli and Evangelion so it wasn't entirely a waste for me and all these other properties that the block had. Its certainly got me interested in them so I may consider looking into them at some point.

Loot Crate - Unite
Now I will say that Geek Fuel did a similar theme to this in April so I'm kind of expecting similar stuff in the Loot Crate, but I'm sure the stuff here will be just as good. So the theme is Unite which is one way of having a team come together to face the world as it were and that's pretty cool. We have 3 Marvel items which are an ice tray, shoe laces and an Avngers decal and they all look awesome as they have a wide range of characters on them so pretty cool that. We also have 2 comics which are both Loot Crate exclusive with one being Bravest Warriors (from the people who gave us Adventure Time) and the other being MAD and both look awesome as well (haven't read them yet, but I will do). Fans of the hit online game by Valve Team Fortress 2 can rejoice as we get four badges with things from that game on them so that's pretty cool. We also have a Rick and Morty jigsaw puzzle and while I don't have Cartoon Network any more, its good that they still have original cartoons on there even if they don't live up to the ones I grew up watching. And then there's the T-Shirt which is a Power Rangers one and while I'm no longer a huge fan of the franchise, the t-shirt does look pretty awesome. And finally, the Loot Crate does change into something and that something is a locker room. So despite it nearly being a copy of Geek Fuel's Teams box, there's still some pretty good items here so great stuff.

Infinity Crate - LOSS
Now we have the new kid on the block as it were. Infinity Crates, they are based in the UK like My Geek Box, but what makes them unique is that unlike the other subscription boxes here, they take into account of you're interests so that every box is different for everyone. So say if one of you likes Batman and the other person likes Superman, you get things related to those heroes and the items will not be the same for everyone and that's a good thing. Of course, the things they put in the box also has to relate to the theme as well as being your interests. So in every box, you get a t-shirt and for me its a Walking Dead one and you also get a Pop! vinyl figure and for me its a Game of Thrones one which will make up for the one I got in the Nerd Block which I already had prior. As well as those, I also got a set of tattoos which are all to do with different franchises to do with the theme of LOSS, but are all franchises that I love. I also got a Walking Dead decal which is nice. A small poster of the many ways one can die in a video game. A Batman wrist band. And what I believe is a pin of some sort. So as the first box, they definitely stick to the theme and also your interests so regardless of what they send, you're guaranteed to have a good time here, just as long as they know what you like. Its also a great and more efficient way of building up your Pop! vinyl collection if you have one.

Geek Fuel - Summer Mayhem
In Geek Fuel this time, we have 2 Doctor Who items which are both to do with the Weeping Angels and both talk about this fictional event with one being a ticket and the other being a t-shirt, both for this "Weeping Angels" concert (something to do about winning a Doctor Who thing, I don't know). Plants VS Zombies is here with some mystery pins (I got 2 zombies and 2 plants which seems fair to me) so those are cool). As always, we have a game for Steam and this time, its a game called Square Heroes so that should be fun and we also get a set of tattoos to go with it. We also get a dark and odd Yoda poster which looks pretty cool. A slap on Geek Fuel thingamabob is in this box as well. And the last thing is a variant and rare version of Marvel's Secret Wars issue 1 which I probably won't read to keep the collector value (as you do). So while there isn't really much of a theme here, its a pretty good box all around.

A difficult one this month as each box has had some awesome stuff in it. Nerd Block would be up for winning May's battle, but the vinyl figure and the fact that I enjoy and not love Anime, let it down, but has sparked my interest in these different Anime things. Loot Crate felt like Geek Fuel's box in April, but still had some good stuff in it. Infinity Crate stayed true to what they said about having a keen interest in your interests and I like what they sent me, but felt there could've been more added to the box, just saying. And despite being quite a random box, Geek Fuel had some good stuff, but really wish the theme was better and the game is the lowest Steam game they have ever sent me so far, being at $10 value compared to previous months. So a bit of a mixed bag this month, but there has to be a winner here and despite it being a near copy of Geek Fuel's box last month, Loot Crate is the winner this time, but you know at the end of the day, its personal preference and all the boxes here, gave it there all. Most definitely the strongest month of boxes so far so keep it up guys. And hopefully, we'll get My Geek Box again next time as well as the second Marvel Collector Corps. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...