Monday 14 November 2016

Random Movie and West End Show Review - School of Rock

So when people ask me what would be Jack Black's best film, the first one that comes to my mind, is School of Rock. This is because Jack Black is having fun like he does in all his films and he's rocking out which of course is something he likes doing as he is one half of Tenacious D. So with Andrew Lloyd Webber doing a musical of the film, I decided to check it out and seeing as I haven't reviewed the film yet, I'm going to do that here too. So grab those guitars, pick up those drumsticks and let's rock out:

Film
So we meet our main character Dewey Finn (played by Black) who was part of a band before being forced out due to the rest of the band finding him annoying. What makes things worse is that he has a 4 month overdue rent at his apartment which he shares with flatmate Ned Schneebly (played by Mike White) and Ned's girlfriend Patty Di Marco (played by Sarah "my voice is somewhat annoying and I'm going to exploit that for as much as humanly possible" Silverman). So things aren't going well, but when he takes a phone call that is for Ned, he finds that he could very well pay up the rent and takes on a substitute teacher job at a local school, leaving the staff unaware of who he really is. This would eventually lead to him seeing his class do music and try to form a new band to do Battle of the Bands. It is a great film that's funny and allows us to see characters in a whole new light. Plus the music is great and you are guaranteed to have a good time in this film. So let's see if the musical is better. 9/10

West End Show
So the musical follows the same story, just that its on stage, has different actors and plenty more music. In my opinion, I found that the new music actually helped develop the characters more than the film did and it even expanded on things that the film never really talked about like we got to meet some of the parents of the children who were seen in the film, but we never really found out much about them. But the big question everyone has is, is it better than the film. I would say yes. I mean the film was great, but the musical manages to do the film justice and brings in some new things and expands upon other things and it actually managed to be a very entertaining musical. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the film very much, but if you want to feel like you're part of the audience at least in the gig segments, then this show is for you. 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...