Wednesday 20 May 2020

9th Anniversary Special: Random Movie Review - Catwoman

Made it to nine years. Didn't think it would be possible, but here we are. So normally I would be celebrating, but while its lockdown, some things like that are possible but not the same when you have social distancing measures in place. So as with many of these posts, I look at things I either really love or things that I really hate. This falls into the latter. Now I like Catwoman a lot as a character. I think she is a great cat burglar who I often find to be the least villainous of Batman's rogue gallery. I would even go as far as to call her an anti-hero due to the many times she has assisted the caped crusader. Now much like with The Dark Knight, Catwoman has been portrayed by many actresses both physically and voice only. Among my favourite portrayals are Anne Hathaway, Michelle Pfeiffer, Eartha Kitt, Camren Bicondova, Adrienne Barbeau and Grey Delisle. Now we all know that Pfeiffer was supposed to have her own spin-off film after her portrayal, but then came the all so annoyance of having what should have been easy to make, end up in development hell. I mean seriously this gal has had so many stories in comics that surely the good people at Warner Bros. would be able to make something good. But no, we got this film that just doesn't work well and is considered an almost complete betrayal of what we love about Catwoman. Well let's get this train wreak over and done with:

In what is considered perhaps the only film that DC never wanted to be involved in, the film is not about Selina Kyle, but on a woman called Patience (played by Halle Berry). She is a meek designer who discovers some kind of conspiracy within what I'm guessing is a cosmetics factory. She gets found out and gets killed off quite early on. But is then revived by Egyptian cats who grant her superhuman powers that allow her to become Catwoman. And there is also a romance with a cop blooming in the film too.

I do not like this film at all. As I said, it's not the Catwoman film we were hoping for. Maybe if it had a different name rather than be apparently based on the DC character, perhaps it would've fared better. My idea of a Catwoman film would be Selina Kyle pulling off a big heist while avoiding Batman and the authorities. A classic heist story with set up and everything. That would be awesome, but you are not going to get that here. It's bad. The acting is OK for some and not good for others. The costume for Catwoman when compared to other variations, is far too revealing and not one that can blend into the environment. The story makes no sense to me and its just not great. Its only redeeming quality is that it could fall into the "so bad its good" category of films. Anyway, that's all I got to say on this. 3/10

So 9 years it has been so here's to many more years of blogging I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review - Inside Out 2

  I guess a sequel to the first makes sense here. I mean, for the most part, this franchise is all about the subject of growing up and with ...